TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Repair Rear end collision on civic

Default Repair Rear end collision on civic

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2886013

I'm thinking about buying this car and fixing it up but I don't know if I'm capable of being able to fix this or not. I've done some minor body repair but nothing like this. Things I would do is replace bumper under cover, repaint bumper cover and hammer out the body so that it aligns with the trunk and the trunk closes again. But I'm worried this may be easier said than done. What would a body shop do to repair this?

http://www.copart.com/c2/homeSearch....SEARCH_RESULTS

This is my post, but on another forum..

My quick impression; too many miles, too old, too much damage, unless you want to get a rope to hold the trunk closed and drive it the way it is. Donít forget to factor in the fees

Bob K

Exclamation

That car just needs a rear bumper cover and the rear body panel pushed out with a porta power..nice car will sell for 1200 easy plus auction fees of 300 with parts puts you in it at 1600..it would be cheaper normally but cars are sold higher now due to incometax season...i sell cars like that all the time to the public an make 100 on top of cost..id buy it if oi t was closer to me..
    Phil v is my hero.

Quote Originally Posted by style View Post
    That car just needs a rear bumper cover and the rear body panel pushed out with a porta power..nice car will sell for 1200 easy plus auction fees of 300 with parts puts you in it at 1600..it would be cheaper normally but cars are sold higher now due to incometax season...i sell cars like that all the time to the public an make 100 on top of cost..id buy it if oi t was closer to me..
    Obviously, you overlooked the buckles in both quarters. Not a total if you fix it on the cheap, but it surely needs a good pull to get the buckles out. Floor has buckles too I'm sure

Style, Where ever you're getting your crack from you need to find a different drug dealer, that stuff is making you delusional.

A porto-power to straighten that cars rear damage ???

Do you see in the pictures where both quarter panels are buckled because of frame damage on both side frame rails ? Arepair estimate of $7,000.00 dollars (thats SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS ESTIMATE OF REPAIRS).

The Kelley blue book price on that car with that mileage in GOOD condition is $3,300. That $3,300 IS FOR A CAR THAT WAS NEVER WRECKED WITH A GOOD (NOT SALVAGE) TITLE. The car in question has a California salvage title which cuts its resale value in half.

To the person who posted the orginal message in this thread - That is a REALLY BAD DEAL, do not buy the car. By my figures you would have at least $4,000 into a $2,000 car with a bad (salvage) title. Stay away from it.
    Last edited by Phil V; 01-18-2011 at 11:16 AM.

Would you replace or straighten out the lower frame rails and get the bottom of the rear suspension moved back an inch or two to where it should be or would you put it on the road with the rear caster out of spec.? To me it looks like it was hit hard square on the bumper bar and crumpled the bottom under the trunk floor all the way forward of where the trailing arms attach. It looks like the damage bent the quarters between the wheel wells and the door openings, or am I reading too much into those dents in the side?

Bob K

Sorry, looks like Phil V and Surf answered all my questions while I was typing my post.

Bob K

Quote Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
    Would you replace or straighten out the lower frame rails and get the bottom of the rear suspension moved back an inch or two to where it should be or would you put it on the road with the rear caster out of spec.? To me it looks like it was hit hard square on the bumper bar and crumpled the bottom under the trunk floor all the way forward of where the trailing arms attach. It looks like the damage bent the quarters between the wheel wells and the door openings, or am I reading too much into those dents in the side?

Bob K
    I think the buckles would be way worse, to move the suspension even a tiny bit. Back glass would be broken too. Crumple zones keep the suspension in position fairly well. Very well on a light hit like that. Yeah, thats a light hit. 2 hour set up, 3 hour pull, relieve the stress on the quarters, bondo it up, blow off replacing the frame rails/floor (on the cheap) and it wont be a 7K fix.

Those buckle will come out when its pulled salvage or not that car is a 3to3500 allday next month and buy here pay here dealers will sell it 1000dn $4995,phil I suggest you stop worrying about my crack problem get your head out of your ass and wake up to the real world and value of things these days ,we are not in the 1940s anymore...
    Phil v is my hero.

Those buckle will come out when its pulled salvage or not that car is a 3to3500 allday next month and buy here pay here dealers will sell it 1000dn $4995,phil I suggest you stop worrying about my crack problem get your head out of your ass and wake up to the real world and value of things these days ,we are not in the 1940s anymore...
    Make up your mind. Porta power or pull? which is it going to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Make up your mind. Porta power or pull? which is it going to be?
    not much difference,as long as you move the metal... i could do it with either one..
    Phil v is my hero.

not much difference,as long as you move the metal... i could do it with either one..
    Yeah!! Good luck with that one

this is a perfect example of a rear end repair,

rear trunk lid 100

rear bumper assy 150

rear tail lites 50

pull paint and labor 300

600 total restoration..

Phil v is my hero.

this is a perfect example of a rear end repair,

rear trunk lid 100

rear bumper assy 150

rear tail lites 50

pull paint and labor 300

600 total restoration..

I have fixed worse than that with a BFH but it was by no means a proper repair. And it was way more than $300 labor. There was no rail dammage either, like on the car in the orig. post has. I do admire your willingness to work for peanuts, however

Sorry, but I gotta jump in on this one...

Anyone who would try to push that POS Honda off on someone for 4995 with anything but ultra-low mileage and clear title should be ashamed.

The car is a light hit and most likely the rear suspension hasn't moved

To think that Merc can be pulled and straightened for $300...I wouldn't do that in your shop with your tools, on your time. To return either of these cars back to pre-accident condition will take several hours. To butcher them...sure.

If I wanted a beater that got 35 mpg sure I'd buy the Honda for about 600 after auction fees, put it on my rack and pull, straighten the rear body panel, replace the rear bumper and decklid, work both quarters and wind up with $1500 in the repair. Drive it for a year or so and sell it for what I had in it.

Here's a pic of what I drive now. I built the truck in 2004 when it had 30k miles on it. It's just about to turn 100k. I replaced the complete left suspension, bumper, fender, LF door, windshield, lower section of firewall on left side, lower hinge pillar, and front section of rocker and floor pan. Oh, and airbags, seat belts and air bag computer.