Thread: Polyurethane vs Enamel vs Lacquer

Default Polyurethane vs Enamel vs Lacquer

first Happy holidays guys...

I was giving a task to protect an outdoor sculpture made out of bronze, the piece was polished to a nice shine, but the owner wants to keep the sculpture from tarnishing, what clear top coat do you advised me to apply?

Marine type polyurethane(none yellow Varnis), industrial Type Alkyd Enamel(for metal structures) or a dedicated out door lacquer like Permalac(with UV and corrosion inhibitors)..?

Thank guys and merry Christmas

Permalac(with UV and corrosion inhibitors)..?

Thank guys and merry Christmas
    I have had great results with Permalac on brass for marine use .

Mooch

Quote Originally Posted by Mooch View Post
    I have had great results with Permalac on brass for marine use .

Mooch
    I hear permalac its also good, they have 2 pack canalized lacquer also, I would think a dedicated coating will be a best way to go too, how about a moisture cured coating like Por-15 glisten pc? or an epoxy clear top coated with an UV resistant enamel clear?..

choosing paint for exterior uses are so much complicated than choosing automotive paint...

Why not use an automotive urethane? It's a lot more durable than the other finishes mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Why not use an automotive urethane? It's a lot more durable than the other finishes mentioned.
    I haven't had good luck applying clear urethane over bare metal. It usually ends up peeling pretty fast unless it's primed first.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    How about automotive ClearCoat(generic catalyzed Urethane) over dedicated cured outdoor lacquer? the dedicated bronze lacquer will stick to the bare metal and protect it from tarnishing while the 2k CC will give it a super durable exterior finish? could this work?

Quote Originally Posted by nicamarvin View Post
    How about automotive ClearCoat(generic catalyzed Urethane) over dedicated cured outdoor lacquer? the dedicated bronze lacquer will stick to the bare metal and protect it from tarnishing while the 2k CC will give it a super durable exterior finish? could this work?
    In most cases lacquer will react (lift) when urethane is applied on top. It's like putting lacquer on top of enamel.