TheCoatingStore.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ?s about 2005 Dodge Neon Repair.

Brian, I agree that there are some good buys out there when looking for a wrecked/repairable.
    My experience with salvage/rebuilt titled vehicles has been bad experiences. They were still new enough to be worth a reasonable amount of money and on the surface appeared to be a good investment of my time and my money to make a good proft. One had what appeared to be very light damage in the right front (bought at an insurance auction). Got it home, got it apart and the damage was considerably more with all the suspension on the right front needing replacement, the K frame was damaged and had to be replaced, front bumper, fender, headlight, mag wheel factory graphics decal etc etc. I repaired the car right and it looked like new again. Ended up with a Michigan "rebuilt" title. I put it up for sale thinking I could still come out of this situation with at least some profit on the sale. NO ONE wanted to pay anything near what book price on the car was (not even dealer trade in value, which is much less than retail). I was getting offers at half or less than half of bluebook retail value. I ended up taking the car to the public auto auction and barely broke even. When my car came in the line up for sale the auctioneer hits a button and a flashing red light goes on and a siren goes "whoop whoop whoop", the auctioneer says loudly to make sure everyone is aware " this IS a salvage/rebuilt titled vehicle ". (which was the right thing to do under the circumstances). I also bought and repaired a nice relatively late model Camaro and the same thing, I barely broke even money wise. Based on more past experiences I will not have anything to do with a salvage/rebuilt titled vehicle. I have bought wrecked repairable cars with CLEAR titles that were good investments. Several over the years I kept and drove myself. The best deals on buying damaged cars were bank and credit union repo's. I bought them cheap with only cosmetic damage, good cars to keep and good cars to sell for an excellent profit. I bought a one year old Ford Ranger a few years back, needed a bumper, fender and grill for $2800. I drove the little truck for a year and sold it for close to $6000. My experience is there are plenty of repairable cars out there with CLEAR titles that are much better investments than salvage title vehicles.

Maybe the Mexicans down there in Texas don't know the difference between a salvage title and clear title but the general public here in Michigan sure know the difference. You couldn't pry their wallets open with a porta power when it comes to buying repaired salvage title vehicles.
    Last edited by Phil V; 12-27-2010 at 12:56 PM.

Phil V, where or how do you find the repo's at?

Thanks.

I was at an auction where a woman was bidding on her own repo'ed BMW, trying to buy it back. lol

Quote Originally Posted by SStampede View Post

Thanks.

Call all the different banks in your area and ask the loan officer what they do with their repo cars. Some banks use a third party company to repo the cars and they are also in charge of selling the cars.
    Some banks and credit unions hand the sale of the repo's on their own. All you can do is call around to the different banks and credit unions and find out what the story is in your area. I used to have a contact who was a loan officer with a local credit union and he would call me with a heads up when he got something he thought I would be interested in. Some banks have a service that bring the cars directly to a public auction site where they are auctioned off. Sometimes you can buy the cars directly from the bank before they're auctioned off. Again it just depends on who you're dealing with at the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    NEVER buy a car with a salvage title to repair unless you plan on keeping and driving the car yourself for ever. That applies especially to non professional bodymen. Its a losing situation all the way around.

Even if the car has a clear title (not salvage title) never buy a wrecked car without having a PROFESSIONAL bodyman check it out for you before any money changes hands. The biggest problems novice bodymen make when buying a wrecked car is they WAAAAY underestimate the extent of the damage and what it will take to repair the car in money and labor.

That Neon hit in the ass in the picture is a total and there is a very good reason why the insurance company totalled the car. Its because THE COST OF REPAIRS EXCEED THE VALUE OF THE VEHICLE. If it was an easy fix or a cheap fix the insurance company would have paid to have the car repaired instead of totalling out the car. Also consider that if the car owner had no insurance when he/she wrecked the car they too would have paid to have the car repaired if it was a cheap easy fix. Most novices get in way over their head and end up losing money buying a wrecked vehicle to repair.

I have bought cars over the years that were wrecked and in need of repairs but several important factors are involved there - (1) I'm a well experienced professional bodyman so I knew exactly what I was looking at in terms of cost and labor to repair the vehicle before purchasing the car. (2) I had/have complete access to all the tools and expensive equipment it took to repair those cars.
    These are good points. I quit a job because a guy wanted to me to hack up a car on the frame rack and I didn't want to do what he wanted. He actually wanted me to connect a b pillar with the inner and outer NOT staggered, no insert, nothing. Just wanted me to tack the outer closed and throw a rocker w/ b pillar cover over it. I told him I didn't want to do it and left. That told me you can't trust anyone who's selling a salvage cause a lot can be hidden. If you can't sit your family in it than it's not road worthy to me.

I think there is some totals that are worth it. Martin hit it on the head about rear floor, rear panel, and maybe a decklid. That to me is a perfect one. There's not a lot of crap in the back. If it affects gaps and sail panel I'll pass. I say if it's an easy fix and you see that instantly then it's a no brainer. If you're unsure better to pass. With that said, I don't have any experience being Russian...I mean buying totals!(lol) but I saw a few where I was tempted and knew what was involved and deemed it worth it. Just didn't pull the trigger.

As for this car, I wouldn't get it. The quarter has to be replaced and is too much work being that it's a neon. I'd look for something newer and easier.

Style lives in elpaso. He would use stolen parts and work out of a drug smuggling tunnel. Thats how he can work cheap

Style doesn't care about livable body man wages. He hires illegals and has mobile background. There's always a market for cheap crappy work.

Quote Originally Posted by SStampede View Post

Thanks.
    check out copart or iaai.com thats where i buy most of my crap...

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid killer View Post
    Style lives in elpaso. He would use stolen parts and work out of a drug smuggling tunnel. Thats how he can work cheap

thats not cheap around here,different places have different markets..

Quote Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
    There's always a market for cheap crappy work.
    very true thats why your still in business..

and i have fun working out of my house,its so much less stress..

and guess what these pics aint stolen...
    Last edited by style; 01-06-2011 at 11:12 AM.

When a bumper has that many rockchips you don't repair it like that. Like I said, cheap crappy work.

I could pick those paint jobs apart. I can tell by how you prep that your work is so so at best

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid killer View Post
    I could pick those paint jobs apart. I can tell by how you prep that your work is so so at best
    the ferrari front bumper was broken from running something over on the freeway,so that was fixed plus all the rock chips pdr 2 dents on left front and paint front clip and buff whole car detail interior an dye carpet then scotchguard carpet condition seats an dash etc

PAID $500

bentley was fix front bumper paint fender an door ended up burning door an reshooting it..

price on bentley with cut an buff complete car was,

PAID $250

AND THESE PICS ARENT STOLEN EITHER...

Doesn't change the fact your only experience is a short stint in the mobile trade and now you're doing work in your garage. So what qualifies you to question Phil who's been in the trade for over 20 years?

QUALITY OVER QUANTITY.