TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: How Far Back Do Gravity Feed Guns Date?

Default How Far Back Do Gravity Feed Guns Date?

I always thought gravity feed guns were a more recent development, last 25 years or so. Last night I was watching a documentary on the German WW2 Panzer 4 heavy tank and it showed a guy in the factory spraying away with one. It didn't seem to be leaving a big cloud either though all that was shown was a quick shot. So did they have them over here during that period or was our production stuff all siphon? When I was a kid all I recall ever hanging around my fathers shop was strictly siphons like the Binks 7.

Quote Originally Posted by drizler View Post
    I always thought gravity feed guns were a more recent development, last 25 years or so. Last night I was watching a documentary on the German WW2 Panzer 4 heavy tank and it showed a guy in the factory spraying away with one. It didn't seem to be leaving a big cloud either though all that was shown was a quick shot. So did they have them over here during that period or was our production stuff all siphon? When I was a kid all I recall ever hanging around my fathers shop was strictly siphons like the Binks 7.
    I think gravity started to become popular around the mid to late 70s (around here) but I didn't start using one until around 1980 or so. Some of the early conventional gravity feed guns were a crap shoot but my conventional Sata Jet 90 performed well. I think I was sold on the easy clean up of the gravity feed guns more than on the performance of the gun.

Our oldest gravity gun is around 50 years old.

Gravity guns are always easier to make, cause you just use a small part of the air to suction the paint, with the siphon ones you have to suction the paint and spray it, not an easy task with a 50 years old technology, not almost if you´re looking for some kind of paint job, to water the garden it´s fine.

1907 - Thomas DeVilbiss, an inventor in his own right, experimented with adapting the original atomizer to create a spray gun to meet the challenges of spray finishing. Mass production was beginning to evolve at this time and the DeVilbiss' spray gun technology proved to be a revolutionary addition to the paint and lacquer coating applications on the furniture and automotive finishing assembly line. Spraying the lacquer reduced drying time to hours instead of weeks and the spraying of paint replaced hand brushing, helping to create new jobs and increase productivity in manufacturing.

Default well....

Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
    1907 - Thomas DeVilbiss, an inventor in his own right, experimented with adapting the original atomizer to create a spray gun to meet the challenges of spray finishing. Mass production was beginning to evolve at this time and the DeVilbiss' spray gun technology proved to be a revolutionary addition to the paint and lacquer coating applications on the furniture and automotive finishing assembly line. Spraying the lacquer reduced drying time to hours instead of weeks and the spraying of paint replaced hand brushing, helping to create new jobs and increase productivity in manufacturing.
    Does this reply mean anything about gravity feed?? That was a nice history lesson though.....
    [SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by another2centsworth View Post
    Does this reply mean anything about gravity feed?? That was a nice history lesson though.....
    No but history is interesting . In fact in 1894 Binks made the first spray system for whitewash . And no that has nothing to do with a gravity gun either .

Mooch