Respirator for grinding, blasting, welding
I've been using 3M 8212 and 8214 respirators during most of my home hobby restoration work.
Re-reading the boxes tonight, it looks like the descriptions are very similar but slightly different.
for the 8214: "Recommended for welding on stainless steel, aluminum, galvanized steel, and other applications where ozone* and nuisance level organic vapors** may be present. "
for the 8212:" Designed for applications such as welding, soldering and other operations where metal fumes may be present. Workplace applications include welding, brazing, soldering, torch cutting, and metal pouring, as well as grinding, sanding, sweeping, bagging, avian flu/bird flu protection, and other dusty/hot operations."
I'm hoping the 8212 was good enough for welding on panels with weld through primer.
Based on the "galvanized steel" comment for the 8214, I'm thinking that one would be better?
Thoughts on that appreciated.
I also have been using the same masks, usually the 8212 while grinding. When using a cut off wheel, not matter how tight I try to get the mask, I can usually smell a little "something". After some online research, I think I understand the mask should stop 95% if I have it properly fitted. What about the other 5%?
Should I be looking at a fresh air system for grinding? Are the face shields on the fresh air systems rated for "impacts"?
I lost someone to COPD and am a little paranoid. I do want to be safe and not give up any health for this project.