TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: 3/16 ?

Default 3/16 ?

I purchased my Dynabrade 10326 back when I had hair, so it is old, and it's a 3/16" machine. Not going to buy the recommended DA with 3/32" throw, and I am going to purchase the interface pad, finishing film, and trizact to color sand an overall "practice" vehicle. I read in another thread Len commented you can get away with a 3/16 machine as long as you are careful. My question is how? Move the DA around quicker, slow it down with the thumb lever, or what? Is this going to be similar to comparing TVs? You can't tell the difference unless using (3/16 and 3/32) side by side? Any advice is appreciated!

The 3/16 machine is more aggressive than a 3/32 and can remove paint more quickly. Depending on the type of paint you're using, the thickness of the paint on the surface and the amount of material that needs to be removed you may need to use a finer grit or a lighter touch in order to avoid damaging your paint job.

Also it's much better to use a palm sander than a two hand sander because the palm sander will tend to lay flat on the surface while a two hand sander tends to tilt to the edges causing it to dig in.

OK, thanks Len, I will try a finer grit first with a lighter touch.