TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Paint prep questions

Default Paint prep questions

Hello all. Thanks for reading.
    My friend has a 1996 Ford Mustang convertible where the white paint is peeling off the primer (grey) in spots. I have nearly a gallon of Nason single stage Urethane white paint that I offered for him to paint his car. This is going to be a garage job, not professional.

My questions are about prep. How much should we sand the car? I assume that since the factory color is seperating from the primer that we should sand all of the white off the car? I also assume that we should not sand through the factory primer. Any advice?

Also, I have two quarts of epoxy primer (also Nason). Should we prime the car before the color coat, even if we leave the factory primer?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
    Regads,
    Mike M.
    Palm Harbor, FL

.The factory primer you are asking about is not surfacer. It is just the first stage of painting the metal and can be likened to an adhesive that bonds the paint to the metal. The standard for using primer is that the paint has to be applied within the recoat window. This is a matter of hours to several days depending in the primer. If you miss the recoat window, as you did (by over 14 years) then you sand the primer and prime again, then paint. You can chose to scuff the good paint on the car and then you can paint right over that paint.

Judging from the story about how you came to this I have to think this is bare bones, cheap as you can go job. If that is the case then sand to metal all the bad paint that is visible, prime that area and paint over everything else after scuffing. Donít try to save any primer that you are sanding on because it didnít do such a good job the first time. Get rid of it where ever the paint failed.

If this is a nice car and you want a long lasting job I would recommend removing all the old paint and starting fresh since you know there are issues with the factory paint. If you just want it to be ok for a few years then do as I said above.

Bob K

If the problem is localized to the hood or even to the top part of the car I would strip off the paint, apply an epoxy primer then my color. After stripping I would clean and mask the car then, one morning, I would prime, color and clear all in one day allowing the proper drying time between coats.

Using catalyzed paint is hazardous to your health so be sure to wear proper protection and vent the room properly while you spray.

You may want to pick up a copy of Spray Painting 101 linked below to help you avoid trouble.

Thanks for all the advice. We got the car painted on Friday.

The first step was obviously to wash the car. We used a small pressure washer which promptly removed the paint off of one entire side of the car (the same side where the paint was failing). It was strange and funny. I told my friend that it was a good thing that he didn't take that car to a car wash or it would have come out grey

We sanded the entire car, but only down to the metal in the spots that failed. The primer that was exposed to the sun sanded off like dust, but the unexposed primer was quite tough. I sprayed one coat of epoxy primer then three coats of SS Urethane color. My spray technique was amateur but I tried my best. Apart from some little bugs that decided to become instant fossils, the paint looks fair. There is some orange peel in a few spots. Time to color sand.

Thanks again. I'll post a picture when we're done.
    Mike M.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemo View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. We got the car painted on Friday.

The first step was obviously to wash the car. We used a small pressure washer which promptly removed the paint off of one entire side of the car (the same side where the paint was failing). It was strange and funny. I told my friend that it was a good thing that he didn't take that car to a car wash or it would have come out grey

We sanded the entire car, but only down to the metal in the spots that failed. The primer that was exposed to the sun sanded off like dust, but the unexposed primer was quite tough. I sprayed one coat of epoxy primer then three coats of SS Urethane color. My spray technique was amateur but I tried my best. Apart from some little bugs that decided to become instant fossils, the paint looks fair. There is some orange peel in a few spots. Time to color sand.

Thanks again. I'll post a picture when we're done.
    Mike M.
    Sounds good,
    I try an leave at least one dead bug in each car I paint that way if it comes back for more work in the future any bugs flyin around. Will see the dead one in the paint and decide to run home an tell the familey to avoid my place that I'm sick an twisted(bugs word,you should have seen what they did to poor lenny!)...

Be shure an check out the class room for color sanding tips!

I'm still waiting for pics

Quote Originally Posted by style View Post
    I'm still waiting for pics
    Wow! 10 years later!

I had to dig, but here is the car a few years after it was painted. The owner (my friend) has long since sold it, but he found this pic for me. I know it's not super clear, but cell phone cameras weren't that great back then. You can't see the bugs in the paint. Enjoy!

2012-12-27_17-02-19_436_2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mikemo View Post
    Wow! 10 years later!

I had to dig, but here is the car a few years after it was painted. The owner (my friend) has long since sold it, but he found this pic for me. I know it's not super clear, but cell phone cameras weren't that great back then. You can't see the bugs in the paint. Enjoy!

2012-12-27_17-02-19_436_2.jpg
    LOOKS GOOD FROM MY HOUSE