TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Help with Omni Urethane

Angry Help with Omni Urethane

I just finished painting the tub of my 69 Bronco with Omni Urethane paint. It seems like it cured ok but I can still scratch it with a light rubing of my finger nail. I am afraid it will not be as durable as I would like. I would like a harder finish. This is one of those times I would like to choke the sales man who talked me into using it instead of the Concept. The reason I used single stage instead of b/c is that I wanted an orginal look and was afraid the b/c would be to shinny. Can I sand it and spray Concept over it or perhaps a Clear Coat without any problems? The paint looks good it is just a little soft. It sanded and buffed out good. Thanks

Has two weeks gone by since you painted? If itís been that long it may be near as hard as it gets. I havenít used that paint but I am not aware of problems with the hardness of Omni. Itís only issues with coverage in the base coat that I remember hearing about. Itís been cool around most of the country so unless you live where it has been unusually hot I would give it a few weeks to get hard. Heat will speed up the cure.

I like to save a sample of clear coat in a small cup when I am painting. It takes 10 to 12 weeks for a thick sample to get crispy hard. Thin samples go faster but they are never done in just a few days.

Bob K

Quote Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
    Has two weeks gone by since you painted? If itís been that long it may be near as hard as it gets. I havenít used that paint but I am not aware of problems with the hardness of Omni. Itís only issues with coverage in the base coat that I remember hearing about. Itís been cool around most of the country so unless you live where it has been unusually hot I would give it a few weeks to get hard. Heat will speed up the cure.

I like to save a sample of clear coat in a small cup when I am painting. It takes 10 to 12 weeks for a thick sample to get crispy hard. Thin samples go faster but they are never done in just a few days.

Bob K
    It has been about two weeks but it has been a little cool here. It is gonna be around 70 next week and I plan on pulling it out in the sun. Do you think I could spray Concept over it?

If you think it needs that much investment of time and materials then I have to think there is something wrong with the Omni that is outside its normal character. Do you suspect that the hardener was bad, or that you might have mixed it using the wrong mix ratio? If it is truly soft then I would not want to chance having it under the next paint job.

That being said I donít feel competent to condemn the Omni from what you said in the first post. I would give it more time before evaluating its hardness.

Bob K

Default Omni acrylic urethane

I'm NO expert (just finishing up my first project in years, an old Gold Wing), but I've been very pleased with the Omni acrylic urethane (single stage)...certainly not soft! And it's not warm here either, but I've made sure the garage and parts were above 60 degrees before painting. The paint has dried/hardened quickly and I'm very pleased with the way it looks (other than the pieces I've messed up and had to sand and re-shoot).

My '66 Bronco is next on my list...next year.

An old newbie in MN,
    Bruce

I've used the OMNI single stage black a few times and it did exactly as you described for a while. I found it really helped to let it sit out in the sun and bake for a day or two.

Im having the same problem. I used Omni MTK single stage urethane on my Charger. Its been a little over a month since I painted it. I wet sanded and started buffing.....but seems like any time I touch a buffed area seems like it scratches easily.
    Most folks look at it says it looks great, but its about to drive me crazy. Im just about ready to sand it and repaint with a better paint.
    Another thing I hate about Omni.....its thin as water too. I have heard people say over and over again, that the savings isn't worth it. I guess I learned the hard way, I will never buy this junk again.

Jason
    1969 Charger R/T---1973 Rallye Charger