TheCoatingStore.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whatever Happend to Custom Painting?

I think part of the problem is very few newer cars are worth getting a custom paint job .

And the older ones are few and far between in most areas . Oh there are some done all over the country but not enough for most to make a living off of them .

Times are changing boys and you better gear up for it .

- Mooch

It takes an evil corporate earth abuser to want to spray an extra pint of
    paint on your car for custom work, which puts out a whopping
    .000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001& #37; of total air polution.

Default ed hubbs

Quote Originally Posted by RottenRodney View Post
    Okay, so custom painting still goes on in New Jersey, as well as all over Europe so I hear. Humm... Until just lately, I didn't give it too much thought. Perhaps we're just focused on the type of work that comes to us automatically -- mostly restoration type stuff. I don't have a clue how it got that way. It wasn't an overnight occurance.

Perhaps what California needs is a second van craze, like the one we saw in the '70s. That's when things were happenin'! I was too young for cobwebs and lace, but in '78 I joined a team of four full-time custom painters. We were very busy with vans: airbrush murals, Saran Wrap murals, acetylene smoke murals, freak drops, wood graining, flames, scallops, graphics, and combinations of all the above, while the shop's owner drug his brushes around all day long. That shop is still in business today, but it's not like it was.

Anyway, as soon as we can break away from what we're workin' on (a one-color car, of course), I'm goin' to take Ray for a ride. I want him to meet an ol' friend of mine, the guy I worked for when I was a kid in fact. Richard Mc Peak has been in the custom painting business in California longer than anyone I personally know. We'll git his take on the future of the craft and report back to y'all.

Thanks

RR
    rodney you need to call ed hubbs and talk to him.... look for him on youtube.
    [SIGPIC]