TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: repair/repaint motorcycle fender

Default repair/repaint motorcycle fender

I have a Harley fender that was damaged on the front that needs to be repaired and repainted.

After I make the repair, can i shoot primer over the original clear? Can i just scuff it (not enough to break thru the clear) with 600 and then shoot the primer?

fender.jpg

Default not an expert but

have done what you've posted. for me, i went out a bit farther with 1200 over the 600 scratches. blended out the 2k surfacer, slicked her back down, ending in the 600.
    blended the bases & shot 2 med wet coats of clear. she looked slick.

good luck!
    "Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." Alfred E. Newman

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRob View Post
    I have a Harley fender that was damaged on the front that needs to be repaired and repainted.

After I make the repair, can i shoot primer over the original clear? Can i just scuff it (not enough to break thru the clear) with 600 and then shoot the primer?

fender.jpg
    The way we would do it is to do the repair and prime just the repaired area then block sand the primer and then sand the entire fender before painting. It's not necessary to prime the entire fender unless the color won't cover well and you need to make the entire fender the same color before painting.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    The way we would do it is to do the repair and prime just the repaired area then block sand the primer and then sand the entire fender before painting. It's not necessary to prime the entire fender unless the color won't cover well and you need to make the entire fender the same color before painting.
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I am going back with the same color. When you just prime the repair, do you tape it off? won't that create a 'hard' line?

Rob

I am going back with the same color. When you just prime the repair, do you tape it off? won't that create a 'hard' line?

Rob
    i just break my wrist to blend the primer. if i used tape in this case, i'd get a line even if i back taped it!
    you can step out your surfacer so it doesn't have a straight edge or heavy build ups.

keep posting!
    "Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." Alfred E. Newman

Rob
    No, no tape. Bang out the dent, fill the low spots, sand out the deep scratches in the paint and sand a little beyond the repair then prime. Apply epoxy and filler primer then a guide coat and block sand the primer then sand the entire fender then paint. If the fender has chips or scratches elsewhere then you might want to prime the entire thing after feathering out the other damage but if it's just that dent you show then that's all that needs to be primed. Priming the entire thing is ok but it will increase the "film build" and increase the chances of paint failure by chipping more easily. The original finish is your primer, no more is needed.

I would also remove all of the trim before prepping and painting.