Thread: Used acetone as pre paint cleaner...

Default Used acetone as pre paint cleaner...

I've always used acetone as a prepaint cleaner. for things that I've painted I am just now finding out about how important it is to use a proper wax and grease remover. I primed a few panels a couple days and used acetone about 10 minutes before they were primed. The epoxy primer I used can be reduced with acetone I am not worried about that. I was applying the primer to sanded OEM single stage paint, body filler, and direct metal. Do you think I compromised the paint or filler I applied the primer to? I am probably going to be the most upset I have ever been if I have to sand off the primer. I spent all day carefully block sanding them out in the 90 degree hot sun

Well some good news I suppose, considering the circumstances.

I used acetone damn near every where, before bondo, before i primed, ect. But the good news is I just went down and put a lot of acetone on a rag and wiped the original hood that I am not using and there was no red paint on it, so I put some elbow grease into it and still no paint, so I let the rag soak on the hood with a can on top of it and after some more elbow grease there was still no paint. There were places where I sanded through to the factory primer though...I guess I will have to investigate that as well

From a chemistry standpoint, I don't think you'll have any problems. Especially considering 10 minutes after you applies acetone, there should be no trace of it.

My biggest concern was that it removes and strips some paints, and I was priming over paint and primer. I checked the primer and it seems to hold up fine as well.

Do you guys think I will be alright?

I would be very careful (quite using it) as on the SPI website, they have noted many problems with using lacquer-thinner to pre-clearn and I believe acetone is even hotter...

Something about it getting through the pores of the paint (even if it doesn't dissolve the paint) and waiting there until the paintjob is done, then coming back to cause problems...

Quote Originally Posted by barthmonster View Post
    I would be very careful (quite using it) as on the SPI website, they have noted many problems with using lacquer-thinner to pre-clearn and I believe acetone is even hotter...

Something about it getting through the pores of the paint (even if it doesn't dissolve the paint) and waiting there until the paintjob is done, then coming back to cause problems...
    When you use any liquid to remove a contaminant from the surface the liquid needs to stay on the surface long enough to dissolve the contaminant then be absorbed and wiped off using paper towels or whatever. A solvent that dries quickly only does a marginal job and, if used, should probably be used several times in order to do the same job that a dedicated grease and wax remover would do in one application.

I believe this is much ado about nothing. Whatever using acetone would do it would do immediately. No immediate affect no problems. There are without question ketones in wax and grease remover as these are super solvents. Perhaps acetone but more likely MEK or MAK as they are slower evaporating in line with Len's comments. Acetone is gone in seconds which might make it less good for floating the contamintes off the surface but from the paint problem side of things makes having a paint problem less likely rather than more. Worry about other things.

I agree with Dennis, this whole situation is not worth worrying about.

Thank god, I was FREAKING out!!!

I have since purchased a proper product...