TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Which sander to use?? When sanding down to old Primer

Default Which sander to use?? When sanding down to old Primer

Hi guys! I previously bought some tools of this site and I would like to use. Which tool should I use to sand down to the previously old primer/basecoat?

Makita Sander/Polisher?
    Or
    Airvantage palm sander?

Also when sanding off the old clearcoat, Do I only have to sand down to the basecoat? or I have to sand down to the primer? Because I plan on applying new primer and baseboat, clearcoat.

I'm repaintin a whole car by the way! Thanks! Hope to hear from Len and many others! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CookingHands View Post
    Hi guys! I previously bought some tools of this site and I would like to use. Which tool should I use to sand down to the previously old primer/basecoat?

Makita Sander/Polisher?
    Or
    Airvantage palm sander?

Also when sanding off the old clearcoat, Do I only have to sand down to the basecoat? or I have to sand down to the primer? Because I plan on applying new primer and baseboat, clearcoat.

I'm repaintin a whole car by the way! Thanks! Hope to hear from Len and many others! Thanks
    If I'm removing the paint from a single panel I might use the AirVantage but for any more than that I'd use the Makita with 80 grit sandpaper because it's so much faster. If you need to remove the clear coat you may as well remove everything and build your new surface up from the metal. If you only need to scuff the existing paint then the AirVantage with some finer sandpaper is the tool to use.

thanks! len. thats what i needed.

I have a White 97 Honda Civic Si Coupe, I rear ended this car last year and finally going to pull it out. I'm going to do some bodywork and give the car a complete new Champion Paint job Going to be my first project!! The only experience I ever had was painting a couple of front lip and grills.