TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Wanna vouch for this half mask

Default Wanna vouch for this half mask

This North Mask is 10x better than any 3m mask I've ever used and let me tell you why.

The 3M masks that allow you to change the charcoal filter...
    PROS: readily available at any paint supplier or home depot. Better than most. Cheap
    Filters

CONS: all have had problems with the straps breaking or getting worn out. The rubber seems to disenegrate. I had a little primer on one area and as I was cleaning it other areas and the area in question started peeling away The Rubber seems too porous and hard to clean. They just get gross! Can't weld with this.

North Half mask 7000 series:
    PROS: The mask is durable.Never had a problem with straps. The rubber doesn't disenegrate even if using to clear coat. Easy to clean and doesn't seem as porous as 3m's rubber. P100 pancake filters are $2 and with a $2 adapter you can double up a charcoal filter($10) WITH the pancake, which would make it the most safest mask on the market I believe. The fact that you can have it with just the pancakes for welding and filler work and also add on a charcoal filter between the mask and pancake make it one of a kind. I like to have separate masks for painting and filler but there's times I wish my filler mask had charcoal and this is the answer for that.

CONS: filters are a little more and your best bet is to buy in bulk on line.
    Last edited by Bob K; 08-07-2010 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Remove link

Default Your misinformation can hurt someone.

Quote Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
    This North Mask is 10x better than any 3m mask I've ever used and let me tell you why.

The 3M masks that allow you to change the charcoal filter...
    PROS: readily available at any paint supplier or home depot. Better than most. Cheap
    Filters

CONS: all have had problems with the straps breaking or getting worn out. The rubber seems to disenegrate. I had a little primer on one area and as I was cleaning it other areas and the area in question started peeling away The Rubber seems too porous and hard to clean. They just get gross! Can't weld with this.

North Half mask 7000 series:
    PROS: The mask is durable.Never had a problem with straps. The rubber doesn't disenegrate even if using to clear coat. Easy to clean and doesn't seem as porous as 3m's rubber. P100 pancake filters are $2 and with a $2 adapter you can double up a charcoal filter($10) WITH the pancake, which would make it the most safest mask on the market I believe. The fact that you can have it with just the pancakes for welding and filler work and also add on a charcoal filter between the mask and pancake make it one of a kind. I like to have separate masks for painting and filler but there's times I wish my filler mask had charcoal and this is the answer for that.

CONS: filters are a little more and your best bet is to buy in bulk on line.
    I've got news for you, neither of these masks is that safe for painting and you really have no idea which one is really the safest. Do you know know how long the charcoal canisters last on each mask? Do you know the percentage of the isos eliminated by each mask after you've used 50% of it's life.

Canister masks use "negative pressure", you pull air through the filters as you inhale. If the mask leaks, just a little, you can permanently damage your health. If you use a "positive pressure" mask and it leaks air will exit not enter and you have very little chance of being damaged by the isos. We have a lot of hobbyists that were smart enough to use positive pressure systems when painting and even many pros that are in down draft spray booths still use positive pressure to help eliminate the health risk from spraying hardened paints.

Do you spray paint in something other than a down draft booth? Use a supplied air system for much better protection. A cartridge mask is ok when the air is fairly clean but in many spraying situations filtering and breathing the booth air is not a wise choice.

It provides a better fit than 3m so in my opinion it seals out better. Lots of people who've I spoken to say the same thing. We all say the 3m will leave sanding dust between their nose and nostrils, which means it's not sealing.

I'm well informed that charcoal masks aren't sufficient for painting and I believe I was the one on this forum saying so while others were disagreeing with me a while back and many users saying I didn't know what I was talking about. These are the things they drill into your head at voc schools and so I've been versed on this 3 times in different classes as well as the Icar haz mat class I just took recently. The common belief from what I understand is that you get 40 hrs of spray time for each pair of filters given you seal check before each use, and you keep your charcoals separate from the mask as both are sealed in a big zip lock separately. I spray mobile outside in the shade. I should be ok. I have more of a concern for over spray getting into my eyes as well as isos than an old filter. I check my seals and make sure I know how much hours I got on the filters. If I were spraying indoors I'd get a supplied air mask with grade D air.

I was just saying that north is a far superior mask for whatever you use it for.

edit-btw, just my luck! I leave this post then have a look at what icar classes are available and it sounds like I can be a platinum pro level 3 refinish tech before a structural tech due to less classes to take and plenty available this month and the next available one is this class. My last was haz mat....it never ends! 8)
    https://my.i-car.com/eweb/DynamicPag...&site=publicus
    Last edited by tech69; 08-08-2010 at 04:36 PM.

Just want to say, the north safety half mask is a big brand in Canada, and they're more stringent than the US. Also would like for anyone to tell me they can find a better deal on this...

I just bought 50 pairs of pink pancake filters (p-100) for $100!!!

When I get home I'm going to take a pic of my 3m mask that I wore 1/10 of the time I wore my north safety mask. You'll see which one was able to handle the abuse and which one crapped out. Can't say enough about this half mask, it's the best kept secret!

Quote Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
    Just want to say, the north safety half mask is a big brand in Canada, and they're more stringent than the US. Also would like for anyone to tell me they can find a better deal on this...

I just bought 50 pairs of pink pancake filters (p-100) for $100!!!

When I get home I'm going to take a pic of my 3m mask that I wore 1/10 of the time I wore my north safety mask. You'll see which one was able to handle the abuse and which one crapped out. Can't say enough about this half mask, it's the best kept secret!
    What is the part number for the North mask that you're talking about and what is the part number of the 3M mask that you're comparing it with?

How do you guys manage the supply hose with a positive pressure system? To clarify it seems like you would step on it from time to time wouldnt that crush the coils in the hose?Does it get in your way at all ? Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    What is the part number for the North mask that you're talking about and what is the part number of the 3M mask that you're comparing it with?
    It's a 3M model MM07192

The North Safety Mask is a 7700 half mask.

The North Safety costs $14 but has no cartridge filter included or any filter at all.

The 3M has a cartridge and an extra set of dust filters.

The cool thing about the North Safety mask is that you can have a combination of the cartridge, a $4 adapter, a p100 pancake on top, or just a pancake, or a cartridge with a smaller dedicated dust filter. I do not think the dust filter for 3m is P100, so when you have
    the cartridge and a P100 pancake it's probably technically a better mask. I forgot my mask so I can't take pics to compare but the difference is the rubber on the nose area of my 3M mask has cracked and I got a new one. The straps also broke and before they broke the stretchy straps wore out and call for constantly tightening it. My North mask is just as good as day one and can be fully taken apart for cleaning. Very comfy on your face too.

Quote Originally Posted by All Dry View Post
    How do you guys manage the supply hose with a positive pressure system? To clarify it seems like you would step on it from time to time wouldnt that crush the coils in the hose?Does it get in your way at all ? Mike
    The extra hose is a PITA but I've learned to live with it. While spraying I take the time to give the breathing hose my attention and keep it organized as I make my way back and forth around the car. Some guys tape the breathing air hose to the spraying air hose so that they can drag them around together, I prefer dealing with the separately. Old timers have more problems adjusting to a hose system and many continue to use cartridge masks but I feel it's too dangerous so I give the breathing air the attention it needs.

I also use my breathing system to protect me from thick dust situations like machine sanding filler or sanding wallboard and spackle.

Funny you mention drywall and spackle,Lots of people dont realize that if their home was built before 1980 there is about a 99% chance that the texture compound used in that era usually contains about 2% chrysotile asbestos and when they sand or disturb the texture during a DIY weekend project they are dosing themselves and contaminating the whole house. It is a commonly overlooked hazard. Mike

when you say "charcoal filters" are they called organic vapor cartridge filters? I haven't seen any filters advertised as charcoal filters.

Quote Originally Posted by overeasy View Post
    when you say "charcoal filters" are they called organic vapor cartridge filters? I haven't seen any filters advertised as charcoal filters.
    Yes, in most cases they are referring to the same technology.

The so called coil type hose doesn't hold up well in my opinion, crimps and cracks. I replaced mine with the smooth hose, but I haven't used it yet. It might be a little heavier, but I also got the flexzilla hose for the gun--which is only half the weight of the hose it replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    I've got news for you, neither of these masks is that safe for painting and you really have no idea which one is really the safest. Do you know know how long the charcoal canisters last on each mask? Do you know the percentage of the isos eliminated by each mask after you've used 50% of it's life.

Canister masks use "negative pressure", you pull air through the filters as you inhale. If the mask leaks, just a little, you can permanently damage your health. If you use a "positive pressure" mask and it leaks air will exit not enter and you have very little chance of being damaged by the isos. We have a lot of hobbyists that were smart enough to use positive pressure systems when painting and even many pros that are in down draft spray booths still use positive pressure to help eliminate the health risk from spraying hardened paints.

Do you spray paint in something other than a down draft booth? Use a supplied air system for much better protection. A cartridge mask is ok when the air is fairly clean but in many spraying situations filtering and breathing the booth air is not a wise choice.
    I agree on this ,Positive pressure eliminates leakage on a poor seal to the face ,I would not spray Imron with a mask like .Supplied air for anything with ISO"S -imo .

Been at it 25 years with no ill efects ,Hate to think how it would be if i had not educated myself on the health effects of ISO's