TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Whats the best way to tackle bare metal?

Default Whats the best way to tackle bare metal?

Say I sanded my car all the way down to the bare metal, and now I'm ready to begin the stage of filling and priming. What is the best method to do this? Do I want to bondo straight to the bare metal, and then prime? Or do I want to treat the metal with some type of rust preventative, bondo, then prime? Do I have it backwards? I'm sorry but I just can't seem to understand the order of steps to get bare metal ready for paint.
    I.E. The car has rather extensive rust and corrosion, that will be taken care of before any filler or primer or paint, but I want to do my best to preserve my work for the longest amount of time. Not a whole lot is out of the question for me, I just want to do this RIGHT. Thanks ahead of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack_532 View Post
    Say I sanded my car all the way down to the bare metal, and now I'm ready to begin the stage of filling and priming. What is the best method to do this? Do I want to bondo straight to the bare metal, and then prime? Or do I want to treat the metal with some type of rust preventative, bondo, then prime? Do I have it backwards? I'm sorry but I just can't seem to understand the order of steps to get bare metal ready for paint.
    I.E. The car has rather extensive rust and corrosion, that will be taken care of before any filler or primer or paint, but I want to do my best to preserve my work for the longest amount of time. Not a whole lot is out of the question for me, I just want to do this RIGHT. Thanks ahead of time.
    In most cases you want to put some heavy scratches in the metal using a grinder with a 24 or 36 grit disk then press the body filler into the scratches. This will help the bondo to grab the surface. If you have surface rust you will either want to remove it or convert it with a chemical like Picklex 20 before applying filler or primer. If the metal is going to be exposed for a long time it's best to stop it from rusting by applying epoxy primer or Picklex then reapply primer after you work on each spot.

Thanks Len. I also want to ask for some references about a rust converter called Ospho? I've heard pretty good things about it, but I want to make sure before I spend the money on it. I also want to hear if anyone has had any experience with it, good or bad, and how well its held up.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack_532 View Post
    Thanks Len. I also want to ask for some references about a rust converter called Ospho? I've heard pretty good things about it, but I want to make sure before I spend the money on it. I also want to hear if anyone has had any experience with it, good or bad, and how well its held up.
    I've used several different metal conditioners and found that Picklex is by far the best. Picklex is also a great welding aide so put a little on the metal prior to welding and you'll get much better results. If you want to use Ospho just be sure to follow the instruction carefully to get the best results.

Thanks Len, I'll definately check out the Picklex. Is there any info on how the Picklex spreads? I want to know how far a certain size will go.