TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: 2002 grand am rocker molding - help - removal

Default 2002 grand am rocker molding - help - removal

I'm having a time getting this full rocker molding removed from a 2002 Grand AM. I have all the screw fasteners out, only the push plug types are left that are high on the rocker.

However they're really tight. I tried sliding the molding forward, thinking the pins stay in the car... It seems to give a little then hard stops. Any one know the trick? Don't want to cause myself more trouble/expense by breaking stuff.

I'm going to post a picture of this rocker/quarter rust mess when I get the molding off.

Thanks

Maybe post a picture of the pins that are giving you trouble. I donít remember what kind you are talking about. Do they have a small round center pin? With those you push the center pin further into the car about a quarter inch and that will release from the metal. To reinstall that kind after you pull them from the car you push the center pin back in opposite from the way you pushed it to release. Now the center pin sticks out the top about a quarter inch and you push that pin flush to lock it, push it past flush again to release it. The center pin has three positions. Full out = released, flush = locked, and full in = released. Hope that is what you have.

Bob K

Yeah, my description of the attachment clip wasn't the best. Here are the pics. The ones that I have access to, are the ones whose hole was enlarged by the cancer.

The day job is preventing me from making much progress...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now that you can see the shape of the clip you should be able to pry on the molding and wiggle the clip so that it walks out of the hole. Do one clip at a time, working from one end of the molding to the other. The worst thing that could happen is that you break a couple of clips and need to purchase a box of them.

I just break'em off with a stiff putty knife,I want to say enough to do both sides are less than 5 bucks wholesale from GM.
    Call your dealer first,I've been wrong before!

Quote Originally Posted by TimG View Post
    I just break'em off with a stiff putty knife,I want to say enough to do both sides are less than 5 bucks wholesale from GM.
    Call your dealer first,I've been wrong before!
    Had a few spare moments and got the rocker trim off.... I used the putty knife trick, worked like a charm. There are 9 of those, about half clip in from the front and the rest clip in from the back. I think what I'll do with the other side is break the minimum set and slide the trim out of the remaining clips.

Dealer wants (probably full retail) 72 cents per clip.

Thanks for that tip! :-)