TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: source for 2002 grand am 2 door quarter patch panels??

Default source for 2002 grand am 2 door quarter patch panels??

working on a 02 grand am coupe. It has rust on both pass and driver, just above the rocker trim in front of rear wheels. Anyone know a source for patch panels for this? Its pretty curvy, and I'd rather spend my time doing something else than fighting all those curves from scratch.

thanks!

Default bone yard...

Quote Originally Posted by fj5gtx View Post
    working on a 02 grand am coupe. It has rust on both pass and driver, just above the rocker trim in front of rear wheels. Anyone know a source for patch panels for this? Its pretty curvy, and I'd rather spend my time doing something else than fighting all those curves from scratch.

thanks!
    Is this rot common where you live on these cars? Seems a little early.

Anyway, I would walk a couple bone yards with a battery powered recipricating saw and cut what you need.

When you cut the one off the car I would try to determine what is leaking to cause the water buildup to rot this area. Most likely the side window. Henry

My Sherman & Assoc. aftermarket parts catalog show no metal parts from the cowel area back (all they show is front end parts). They have rear bumpers and a spoiler which is all they show for the back half of the car.

You might find a decent parts car at a junk yard that you could cut off the parts you need for the quarter doglegs on your car.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Is this rot common where you live on these cars? Seems a little early.
    Agree, even for this area (Western PA). It looks like it started where that long large rocker molding comes into contact with the rocker. I'm just started pulling the rocker molding off, way worse than I thought when I picked up the car yesterday. There is evidence of heavy dirt in all obscure areas, so it might have just been full of mud and eroded the paint? The previous owner put duct tape over it

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Anyway, I would walk a couple bone yards with a battery powered recipricating saw and cut what you need.
    When you cut the one off the car I would try to determine what is leaking to cause the water buildup to rot this area. Most likely the side window. Henry
    It has fixed windows in the back, I don't see where water could be coming in... I'll double check again. Any specific ideas to check there would be appreciated. The rot is worse on the left than the right.

Thanks!
    Paul

It sounds like it could have been a flood car. I checked a couple of my sources for parts but they only had rockers and a few other parts before 1999 on the Gran Am. I checked Whitney and Bell Supply but you may want to check with Keystone in your area because you might be able to get an aftermarket quarter and other panels at a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    It sounds like it could have been a flood car.
    I'm thinking it lived on dirt roads and the owner didn't clean it well. Title is clear, and this is the only rust spot (other than some light surface rust on the rear frame/bumper support).

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    I checked a couple of my sources for parts but they only had rockers and a few other parts before 1999 on the Gran Am. I checked Whitney and Bell Supply but you may want to check with Keystone in your area because you might be able to get an aftermarket quarter and other panels at a reasonable price.
    Thanks, I sent email to Keystone locally.

A lot of rust repairs can be accomplished by using EZ Edge (B & C below) and EZ Door Bottoms (A below). We go through a lot of these in our shop.

How to repair a door bottom can be seen HERE.