TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Plastic bumper repair.

Default Plastic bumper repair.

Repairing a rear bumper on a 2005 Caravan. Owner backed into a large rock. I have an area that bulges outward. Is there a way to shrink this area?

Thanks, Bob::0

get a heat gun and a paint stick or a blow dryer and popsickle stick. Right next to you should be a bucket with a wet towel or compressed air. Heat it up keeping the dryer moving and with your hand on the backside, when it feels hot push the damage in with your stick and apply water. You're trying to remold it into the original contour and it has a memory so it's important to keep it pushed in while it's cooling. You can do that 2-3 times but no more than that or it will become brittle.

Remove the bumper cover and look for damaged metal under the cover that may be forcing the bumper to stay in the bent configuration. After the metal is fixed then you may be able to heat the cover with a heat gun to get it into shape. If you are required to get it into perfect condition then I would recommend a new cover. Often a new after market cover can be purchased for the same cost as an hour of shop time. Last month I repaired a Toyota Sienna front bumper cover and replaced a Honda Civic rear bumper cover. The replacement cover cost less than the supplies used on the repair of the other one. They both needed to be painted. Labor charge on the repaired Sienna made it much more expensive than the replacement. Do what the customer wants to pay for.

Bob K

Quote Originally Posted by gordonr View Post
    Repairing a rear bumper on a 2005 Caravan. Owner backed into a large rock. I have an area that bulges outward. Is there a way to shrink this area?

Thanks, Bob::0
    Your best bet is to heat it and massage it back in place. I don't think a hair dryer can get it hot enough but a decent heat gun can work well.