TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Buying First Gun This Week...Advice?

Default Buying First Gun This Week...Advice?

Hello all,
    I'm at the stage in my restoration where I need a good primer gun(epoxy). I hope to use it to spray both primer and single-stage topcoats where the finish is not too critical(floorpans and the like). Trouble is my compressor is a 120vCraftsman 30g with 9.1scfm@40psi and 7.1scfm@90psi. My home's elec. svc. has no provision for 240v so a larger compressor is not an option. Good things have been said for the DeVilbiss Finishline III but I fear I may not have the muscle to run it. I see there is also a LVLP gun from Astro that does not seem to be an air hog...but how does it spray? And while we're on the subject, Is there a BB/CC gun you would recomend with my setup when I'm ready to topcoat the body?
    Thanks in advance,
    George

geroge, your compressor will not be up to the task of spraying a full paint regardless of what spray gun you use. A minimum air compressor for doing full paints is 60 gallon tank, 220VAC and a 11 - 12 cfm. Even then the compressor will be running all or most of time and will be producing copious amounts of water in the tank and the air lines.

If you're doing a panel at a time then just about any spraygun (taiwani guns included) will work for primer. When you get into single stage urethane then you need a spray gun designed to handle that type of paint material.

Hi Phil,
    Thanks for your reply. I'll have to investigate having a more powerful elec.svc. installed or invest in a turbine hvlp system. Are these systems worth it in your opinion?

Default Check out this gun

http://www.spraygunworld.com/product...20Techline.htm
    "Smoke like" atomization.
    Attached Images Attached Images

George, I've never used a turbine spraying system as they are not something you would normally see in a commerical auto paint shop. Len the owner of this site has quite a bit of experience with turbine systems. What I have gathered so far is that the more stages the turbine has the better the system for spraying cars. A 4 stage tubine seems to ring a bell in my memory.

All houses are wired for 220 VAC to run electric cook stoves, electric clothes driers etc. If you had to you could make up a 220v extension cord from the kitchen or clothes drier room to your shop. Definately not an ideal situation but it is do-able.

I'm trying to figure out why Wanker posted that URL to the Jaguar spray gun.
    It uses almost 14 cfm @40 psi and cost close to $200. The gun looks to me like a Devilbiss Gti copy ?

Default Hey Wanker, try this link...

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/m...tegory_Code=1D

This is a great gun for wihich you can get parts easily.

Personally, I don't like high volume, low price place that have no service and no added value. Sites like this one care enough to bother with answering questions and providing this forum as great support. I think we should encourage those high value added business and stay away of the volume discount dont care places...they are just killing the service industry...This darn wallmart syndrom...

Take a look at this link...
    http://www.jibjab.com/JokeBox/JokeBo...px?movieid=122

Just my 2 cents...
    Serge

Default Turbine

Quote Originally Posted by rebelgd
    Hello all,
    I'm at the stage in my restoration where I need a good primer gun(epoxy). I hope to use it to spray both primer and single-stage topcoats where the finish is not too critical(floorpans and the like). Trouble is my compressor is a 120vCraftsman 30g with 9.1scfm@40psi and 7.1scfm@90psi. My home's elec. svc. has no provision for 240v so a larger compressor is not an option. Good things have been said for the DeVilbiss Finishline III but I fear I may not have the muscle to run it. I see there is also a LVLP gun from Astro that does not seem to be an air hog...but how does it spray? And while we're on the subject, Is there a BB/CC gun you would recomend with my setup when I'm ready to topcoat the body?
    Thanks in advance,
    George
    George
    Personally, if I were in your situation, I'd be looking at turbine systems but don't go too cheap because they aren't created equal. Get a 3 or (better) 4 stage system with a good spray gun. We have several but they cost quite a bit more than a spray gun. The less expensive turbines usually atomize poorly and your paint job looks bad but with the right system and gun you can do excellent work.

Using the compressor you have you could use a conventional/compliant gun like the DeVilbiss GFG-670G gun and spray one or two panels at a time.