TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Removing inspection sticker without damage?

Default Removing inspection sticker without damage?

Windshield installers use to be able to take you old inspection sticker off and put it on the new windshield. They arent allowed to do it any more. I was wondering if any of you knew any tricks to geting it off and putting it back on without damage. THe car I have has current inspection but the Emergency brake doesnt work and I know it wont pass inspection and would like to save the old sticker. Any idea?

mmooney,

It's going to be tricky and if you break your windshield or destroy the sticker it's not my fault. Read Phil's post!

If you warm up the glue, a hair dryer - not a heat gun -, then use a razor blade to cut the edge loose and then very carefully pull the edge and skin it off with the blade you MIGHT get it done. Some of those stickers are cut through so that when you try to take them off they don't come off in one piece. Putting clear plastic tape over them first and then cutting them off helps keep them in one piece. Sometimes the glue is a one time thing also and you'll have to re-glue when you put it back on. I'd suggest silicone for that, but others may have better ideas.

I've done a lot of these but I've never had fun at it and I'm not always perfectly successful at it either. It's a time consuming pain in the butt.

Take Care,
    Robert

thanks Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by mmooney84
    Windshield installers use to be able to take you old inspection sticker off and put it on the new windshield. They arent allowed to do it any more. I was wondering if any of you knew any tricks to geting it off and putting it back on without damage. THe car I have has current inspection but the Emergency brake doesnt work and I know it wont pass inspection and would like to save the old sticker. Any idea?

FYI: I know at least in pennsylvania, if you replace the windshield, there is no need to have the vehicle inspected again. State law allows you to just get a new sticker as long as you pay the $2.00 fee for it.

I guess you may be doing something 'shady' not that it bothers me, but you can also get stickers in other ways, especially in Philly.

Default you never heard this from me

but it can be done. Usually the adhesive is on the outside fringes and edges and its not very strong. A friend mentioned heating it would soften the glue, but i doubt that helps because a windshield must reach 150 degrees on really hot days..steaming, might help...what you should do is get a razor sharp blade and start a nick or edge at one of the corners and peel slowly. Use 3M spray to put it back on.

I did this once, but it was my daughter's car. I felt guilty because you shouldn't teach teeangers or the young bad habits so I ended up taking it in for a new sticker.

I know a guy, ahem, that has removed several stickers and easily restuck them on the new windshield. Yes heat helps as does the razor blade. In fact thats all you need. I dont know if your stickers are anything like those in texas but out here the sun is usually hot enough too simply slide the razor blade about half deep around the edges, loosening all 4 sides. Then carefully hold the side you are working with slightly away from the glass and slide your blade under the edges of the security cuts and if you just let you blade remain stuck to that peice you should be able to peel the sticker off slowly. Not too slowly, just being careful not tootear it away at the slits. If this starts to happen, press that area along with the area opposite the slit and remove your razor from its previous position, and do the same thing with it here. That has always worked for my friend. But like I said the Texas sun has its benefits.

Oh yea, I almost forgot. Reaffixing the stickers has never been a problem unless you wait to do it. If you immediatly plan on resticking them, just go ahead and see if it sticks. Sometimes it works, you should be able to tell if it has enough adhesive left on the back (or would it be front?). If it does not, then 3m plastic and emblem adhesive works fine. Dab alittle on a couple spots and spread it around in a thin layer across the entire surface paying special attention to the edges.