TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: can you paint a car in piece's??

Default can you paint a car in piece's??

I want to paint my car 2000 corvette millenium yellow. Can I paint it in pieces since its just a solid color.

Like my fenders one day, then the hood in a few more days later, then doors a few more days later..

Kinda get the point.

Yes you can just make sure you use the same color sealer if you are using it. And make sure you get good coverage

Awesome. So it dont matter if you use a single stage or BC/CC

Quote Originally Posted by WAZZUP454 View Post
    Awesome. So it dont matter if you use a single stage or BC/CC
    There are several other variables to consider when spraying parts separately.
    1. STIR the paint very well before you remove any from the can or it won't match the second time you use it.
    2. If it's metallic there is less chance of a match than solid colors
    2a. Stir, stir, stir
    2b. Use the same air pressure.
    2c. Arrange the parts the way they will be on the car. Doors vertical, lids horizontal etc.
    2d. The room should be the same temperature for all spraying sessions.
    3. If you get good paint coverage the substrate color won't make any difference.

3. If you get good paint coverage the substrate color won't make any difference.
    Actually it can,and has.I have proof,unfortunately.Painted a Chevelle at different times and used a different tinted sealer on the rear half.The Under 4 heavy coats of PPG DBU Hugger Orange,the back half has a green cast,just like the sealer.The front had a grey epoxy as a sealer.SO next time,under orange and especially under yellow,I am using white.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris L View Post
    Actually it can,and has.I have proof,unfortunately.Painted a Chevelle at different times and used a different tinted sealer on the rear half.The Under 4 heavy coats of PPG DBU Hugger Orange,the back half has a green cast,just like the sealer.The front had a grey epoxy as a sealer.SO next time,under orange and especially under yellow,I am using white.
    That means you didn't have good paint coverage.
    Yellows are notorious for not covering so you should have used a sealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    That means you didn't have good paint coverage.
    Yellows are notorious for not covering so you should have used a sealer.
    Are you talking about a primer sealer before paint. Sorry if thats a stupid question LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by WAZZUP454 View Post
    Are you talking about a primer sealer before paint. Sorry if thats a stupid question LOL.
    Actually sealer comes in many different forms. Some sealer is clear while other products could be epoxy primer and others can be tinted to help translucent colors cover better. I rarely use sealer unless my substrate is a variety of different products and can cause my gloss to differ. However, if you're using inexpensive paint products or you're spraying a color that may not cover, it's best to use a sealer that will give you the same color under your top coats.

A good sealer will SEAL not just color the surface. This means that it will stop the top coats from being absorbed by the substrate.

I disagree on some colors especially yellows and pink the sealer will change the color this is what I have seen and been my experience

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post

A good sealer will SEAL not just color the surface. This means that it will stop the top coats from being absorbed by the substrate.
    Got it. I will be using quality paint anyway. Going to use PPG.

Quote Originally Posted by 200horse View Post
    I disagree on some colors especially yellows and pink the sealer will change the color this is what I have seen and been my experience
    Are you saying that the sealer bleeds through the paint or are you SEEING THROUGH the paint? It's been my experience that "coverage" means that you can't see through the paint but if the paint is translucent then it won't matter how much you apply you won't achieve coverage.

exactly, I don't know why the concept of coverage is so foreign. Jobbers offer spray out cards where half is black and half is white so you know how many coats it will take to get FULL coverage.