TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Flexible PVC vs Rubber air hose

Default Flexible PVC vs Rubber air hose

Hi guys,
    Is PVC hose better than rubber hose? as far as less moisture retention inside the hose??
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Choppers_rule View Post
    Hi guys,
    Is PVC hose better than rubber hose? as far as less moisture retention inside the hose??
    Thank you.
    It's been my experience that the PVC tends to be less expensive but it's more rigid. I like a "good" rubber hose like the DeVilbiss hose because it tends to relax more with pressure in it and lays on the floor but you can't beat the price of the PVC hose. Most PVC that I've used is more stiff (especially in cold weather) and it's also lighter than rubber so it tends to be a little harder to untangle. If you store PVC hose in long loops it's less likely to hold a coil shape when it's time to use it. If I had to choose one my pick would be rubber mostly because it's easier to flip and adjust when you're moving around a paint job.

Default air hose

Len's right if the choices are PVC or rubber. But, take a look at the polyurethane hoses. Lighter than rubber and much more flexible than PVC.

I prefer PVC in the summer and rubber in the winter . But for blasting I use 1/2 inch rubber .

Nothing lays like rubber though but is 25 to 40 % heavier than pvc . I use to use a rubber hose with a pvc whip ,which worked out pretty good for me .

Mooch

what kind of hoses are those lime green hoses i see here and there. Polyurethane? They really weigh nothing and move like a piece of string...... Ive got a pvc hose at home and I hate it...its like trying to whip around a pvc pipe

Default Air hose

I have the lime green hose for my air tools. it's called Flexzilla. It is a combination of PVC and Rubber, very flexible, soft and does not lose much pressure for the tools. Down side is price and because it is soft if swells slightly when you pressurize it. At first it was annoying. I used it for awhile..went back to PVC but realized I liked the Flexzilla so went back to it for my tools. I use rubber 3/8 with high flow fittings for my paint hose on a seperate regualtor. At work we have pure industrial rubber hoses and like Len says are heavier but not to the point of being trouble. I hate kinks so I have tried then all. It's one of those deals you don't know until you try them.
    Hope this helps
    Jim

Ive always had a 10' long 1/4" hose on the end of my paint hose just for mobilty. Never really noticed a problem with any hose as far as it losing pressure or anything. My worst pet peeve are hoses that get kinked and curl up...and then fittings that leak...

how do high flow fittings really differ from regular fittings? Does it really matter? Im assuming i have regular fittings but even when im using my gun I set my regulator closest to the gun to 90 and then adjust my gun to whatever need be and dont see a problem. Unless its and efficiency issue.

Quote Originally Posted by racepaint View Post
    I have the lime green hose for my air tools. it's called Flexzilla. It is a combination of PVC and Rubber, very flexible, soft and does not lose much pressure for the tools. Down side is price and because it is soft if swells slightly when you pressurize it. At first it was annoying. I used it for awhile..went back to PVC but realized I liked the Flexzilla so went back to it for my tools. I use rubber 3/8 with high flow fittings for my paint hose on a seperate regualtor. At work we have pure industrial rubber hoses and like Len says are heavier but not to the point of being trouble. I hate kinks so I have tried then all. It's one of those deals you don't know until you try them.
    Hope this helps
    Jim
    We recently added Flexzilla Air Hose to our store.

Quote Originally Posted by wyzat520 View Post
    Ive always had a 10' long 1/4" hose on the end of my paint hose just for mobilty. Never really noticed a problem with any hose as far as it losing pressure or anything. My worst pet peeve are hoses that get kinked and curl up...and then fittings that leak...

how do high flow fittings really differ from regular fittings? Does it really matter? Im assuming i have regular fittings but even when im using my gun I set my regulator closest to the gun to 90 and then adjust my gun to whatever need be and dont see a problem. Unless its and efficiency issue.
    High Flow fittings allow a lot more air through to the tools being used. In most cases you can just jack up the pressure on 1/4" fittings but once you get to 50' of hose or longer you will see a significant difference in the amount of pressure needed to supply the tools with enough air. With most hose over 50' it pays to use high flow fittings and a lot of folks like the lower pressure in the hose because it makes it a little more flexible.

Default Flexzilla

The thing about the Flexzilla is it will be different after a couple of weeks of use and it's kinda strange but once you get use to the difference other hoses seem ackward in comparison. I see Len now offers the hose and they seem to be showing up in a number of different venues.
    J