TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Repair or replace Panel

Default Repair or replace Panel

Just went to the other person's insurance collision place I selected based on distance to my home. Their estimate is higher than the estimate I got from my insurance adjuster (not a body shop guy). This body shop suggested replacing the rear quarter panel rather than just repairing as on my insurance adjuster's estimate. Which is the preferred method for the best repair; fix with filler or replace quarter panel? Is a quarter panel replacement prone to rust on the welded portions due to not having the dealer applied coating on the panel? The body shop seemed very knowledgeable and upfront. Also use PPG paint and gave me info on what they will use:

Clear DCU 2002
    Paint DBC
    Global Sealer.

I always heard it's not suggested to use the other person's insurance recommended shop but this place has a good BBB rating and seemed honest. I'll probably get some more quotes but wanted to get some professional advice.

Thanks in advance.
    Here are some pictures:

You'll notice in this pic I'll have to get the tail light replaced too.

A little rub on the bumper

That's definitely repairable but the quality of the end result (either way) will depend on the shop that does the repairs. If it rolled into my shop I would recommend repairing the existing quarter so that all the seams and jambs would maintain the factory look. It's usually easier to spot a replaced quarter than a repaired one.

88GT Guest

looks borderline to me. It looks like it will take about the same time either way but replacing will cost more in parts and possibly sublet repairs. If there were room to blend within the panel (if its metallic, and there isnt room,)I might repair. I think I would opt to replace also. If the back glass has to come out either way, even more reason to replace.
    It would also depend on if its customer pay or not (From my perspective) If money was tight, definately repair
    My senopsis (SP) is, the ins wants to repair because they wont have to buy a panel. The shop wants to simplify the reair by replacing it

So is anyone of the repairs better than the other; stronger, nicer looking, more durable years later? As far as paint and clear go does it matter much if the shop uses PPG, Dupont, or Sherwin Williams? I'd rather just get it done right the first time and make sure everything blends well. I just need to get at least 2 more quotes and see if who I feel most comfortable with? Also, is it ever bad to go with the other person's insurance body shop?

88GT Guest

choose your own shop. If the replacement is done right it will be just fine. If they skip on weld thru primer etc, then it will have problems. How will you know if they did it right? You wont until there is a problem. Any good quality paint products like you mentioned, will be fine too.

I would absolutely without a doubt repair that existing quarter panel. Thats a piece of cake compared to a lot of quarter panels us pro's have repaired. Repair as opposed to replace for the reasons already stated. I could have that quarter in primer in about three to four hours of labor.

I don't recognize the make and model of that car. What year, make and model of vehicle is it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V
    I would absolutely without a doubt repair that existing quarter panel. Thats a piece of cake compared to a lot of quarter panels us pro's have repaired. Repair as opposed to replace for the reasons already stated. I could have that quarter in primer in about three to four hours of labor.

I don't recognize the make and model of that car. What year, make and model of vehicle is it ?
    Thanks for your input. It's a 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR. Is Red more difficult to blend? I'm going to stop by one shop today that uses Sikkens products and see what they recommend. I may stop by one other one by the Sikkens shop seems like a winner; good review, good BBB rating.

Quote Originally Posted by icrnk
    Thanks for your input. It's a 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR. Is Red more difficult to blend? I'm going to stop by one shop today that uses Sikkens products and see what they recommend. I may stop by one other one by the Sikkens shop seems like a winner; good review, good BBB rating.
    Sikkens is excellent paint. I would blend into the adjacent panels then clear all the panels that get painted.

Quote Originally Posted by Len
    Sikkens is excellent paint. I would blend into the adjacent panels then clear all the panels that get painted.
    That's what I read last night while doing research. What if it looks better than the stock paint.

88GT Guest

That's what I read last night while doing research. What if it looks better than the stock paint.
    It very well could if they cut and buff it. I find just doing a LIGHT wet sand instead of cutting all the peel with FF, it looks alot closer to OEM paint.
    Phil, if you worked at a shop on commission and they gave you 4 ours to repair that pannel, Im sure you would tell them to get ****ed

Quote Originally Posted by 88GT
    It very well could if they cut and buff it. I find just doing a LIGHT wet sand instead of cutting all the peel with FF, it looks alot closer to OEM paint.
    Phil, if you worked at a shop on commission and they gave you 4 ours to repair that pannel, Im sure you would tell them to get ****ed
    Just for your amusement, here are the two quoted jobs.

My insurance adjuster: Repair
    Mldg, Rear Door Belt RT R & I Assembly 2.3 SM
    Handle, RR Door Outer RT R & I Assembly 0.2 SM
    Panel, Quarter RT Repair 8.0 SM
    Panel, Quarter RT Refinish 2.5 RF

Their Insurance Body shop: Replace (told these were OEM Parts)
    Mldg, Rear Door Belt RT R & I Assembly 2.3 SM
    Handle, RR Door Outer RT R & I Assembly 0.2 SM
    Back Glass R & I Additional Labor 3.8 SM
    MLDG, Back Glass Upper MR520295 $11.58 INC SM
    MLDG, Back Glass Lower MN161046 $29.93 INC SM
    Panel, Quarter RT MN161046 $627.75 14.1 SM
    Panel, Quarter RT Refinish 3.5 RF
    2.1 Surface
    1.0 Edge
    0.4 Two-stage

There is other stuff such as alignment, pin stripe, wheel repair, etc., but I just put the info for the panel.

Just stopped by the Sikkens shop and they recommended replacement.
    Last edited by icrnk; 12-05-2009 at 12:26 PM.

Question on repair. I'm still waiting to hear back from the insurance on their body shop's quote. I am concerned about welding having to be done with a replacement panel after reading this (http://www.search-autoparts.com/sear...detail/414746). What happens if the the insurance approves for the replacement but the body shop I choose later decides it's better to repair. Do I return some of the unused money to the insurance?

88GT Guest

Question on repair. I'm still waiting to hear back from the insurance on their body shop's quote. I am concerned about welding having to be done with a replacement panel after reading this (http://www.search-autoparts.com/sear...detail/414746). What happens if the the insurance approves for the replacement but the body shop I choose later decides it's better to repair. Do I return some of the unused money to the insurance?
    Its the other persons fault, right? You dont even have to get it fixed. They want you out of their hair. They will pay you to do so. They dont care what you do once they wash their hands of this

Quote Originally Posted by 88GT
    Its the other persons fault, right? You dont even have to get it fixed. They want you out of their hair. They will pay you to do so. They dont care what you do once they wash their hands of this
    Yes, other person's fault. I do want to get it fixed. Looks like the repair can go either way depending on what the shop prefers. I just want to make sure I'm safe either way. I'm assuming if there is no way the cost for a repair will go over the estimate for a replacement so I should be fine if the shop does decide to repair. I'm guessing any supplemental damage would be found out before the repair is started anyway as well; during tear down. That last shop I took it to look at said they didn't have to look at it as they would just go by the insurance estimate. I went by anyway just so they could see the car and they quickly determined to replace. After researching I don't understand why one wouldn't atleast try seeing if a repair is feasable. The shop has good BBB ratings. I'll probably call them again once I hear back from the insurance and say I'd prefer a repair if possible and to replace only if absolutely necessary.

More pics

Last edited by icrnk; 12-08-2009 at 08:20 PM.

I'd never dream of replacing that quarter...just a little time with a hammer/dolly and a stud gun and I'd be wiping filler on it. correctly done the filler will outlast the car, and you don't have seams to worry about rusting, etc...