TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: What to clean epoxy primer from spray gun with?

Default What to clean epoxy primer from spray gun with?

I got this primner from Eastwood and wanted to use it today but I dont know what to clean the gun with when I am done? Istructions say gun cleaner or appropriate solvent. Can any one advise me what to use? I have Laquer thinner and MEK in the garage would they work?

First to rule out is the old put some thinner in the gun and spray it out the tip and call it done. That doesnít work. It just gives you the illusion that you cleaned the gun. You need to take the gun apart and clean all the passages where paint has been with brushes or Q-tips and pipe cleaners if you havenít got a gun cleaning kit yet. I use cheap lacquer thinner for cleaning, but I donít use it in any of my paint.

Bob K

I just want to be sure I have the right chemicals to clean it. Gun is brand new.

If it has plastic parts, donít let them sit in lacquer thinner very long.

Bob K

Its important for clarification that the thinner to use is automotive grade thinner and NOT hardware store lacquer thinner (two very different animals).

is rustolium brand lacquer thinner sold at walmart good for anything?
    why would they be two different animals when they are both advertised to be lacquer thinner?

Lacquer thinner comes in different temp ranges . If you're using it to thin your material you need the right temp range .

The Klean strip sold at walmart is a 65 to 80 range "med" . For cleaning I never saw much difference .

Some have much more acetone than others . I have used brake cleaner for years cleaning up . Works great when cleaning a cup .

Mooch

I purchased some Lacquer Thinner at Home Depot for the purpose of cleaning my gun, are you saying that's not the right thing to use?

What is the right stuff? is it available at Home Depot or Lowes?

I use the cheapest lacquer thinner I can find for cleaning. The proof is on the gun itself. If the thinner cleans the gun and doesn’t leave paint behind then it’s ok. If you let the paint dry before you clean the gun then that could be a problem for cheap thinner. Lacquer thinner is a mixture of several solvents. The formula is not hard and fast.

Lacquer thinner for high quality paint has a formula that works for that paint and is quite expensive. The cheap stuff is cheap because the company making it may alter the formula to use more of the cheaper solvents and less of the more expensive solvents. The paint has a requirement that not all thinner can meet. If you are using it for painting then use the thinner the paint manufacturer recommends in the product sheet.

I looked at several MSDS pages for different companies and found quite a difference. From Dunn-Edwards Corp I found this:

Naphtha 30%
    Isobutyl Acetate 20%
    Toluene 15%
    n-Butyl Acetate 10%
    Methyl Ethyl Ketone 10%
    Isobutyl Alcohol 5%
    Isopropyl Alcohol 5%
    Xylenes less than 5%

From Klean-Strip I found:

Methanol 20-25%
    Toluene 5-10%
    Acetone 5-20%
    Acetic acid, Ethyl ester 5-15%
    Hexane, Light aliphatic naptha 30-50%
    Mythyl ethyl ketone 5-10%
    Ethanol, 2-Butoxy 1-5%

These two products will be sold as lacquer thinner but can have different ingredients or different concentrations of the same solvent.

Bob K
    Last edited by Bob K; 11-10-2009 at 04:29 PM.