TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Rattle Can Vs Spray Gun

Default Rattle Can Vs Spray Gun

Looks like a great place to ask this question. I have sprayed vehicles before using a gun and I have sprayed items using the cans. I already know that the more I am willing to pay the better the out come.
    The upcoming mission is to paint a new fairing for my motorcycle. My delima, should I go through the expense of the whole auto paint route using a spray gun or will the following work?
    My plan is to hit the new plastic fairing with some 400 grit paper
    Spray on 3 coats of Dupli Color Adhesive Promotor, 10 minutes between coats
    Wait one hour
    Spray 3 to 5 coats of Dupli Color Base, Metallic Black, 10 minutes between coats
    Wait one hour
    Spray 3 coats of Dupli Color Clear Coat

All to cure for 24 hours before handling...

Rattle Can Vs Spray Gun?
    Dupli Color Spray Paints?
    My plan listed above, will it work out?

I want your opinions, PRO's & CON's

Thanks in advance.

my opinion would be if you care about your motorcycle there is absolutely not a single good reason to use spray cans. You can go to your auto paint supplier and get a company's budget line of urethane paint and it will outlast the duplicolor stuff by about 25 times and for probably not much more money.

I don't think you would be happy with spray can results.
    Alot of people want to go the spray can route because its cheaper, but think about it.....

I bought cheap urethane (Kirker) for a little project, it was $48 for 3/4 gallon, and a quart of activator was $20 bucks......$68 for a sprayable gallon (128 oz.)

Spray paint is usually a 12 oz. can, 11 cans would be 132 oz. Most spray cans- Rustoleum, Krylon, Duplicolor is $4-5 bucks a can, so 11x4.50=49.50.

68.00-49.50= 18.50

So for less than 20 bucks more you can have a durable 2k urethane paint that will look better and last longer than anything that will come out of a spray can.

Im a hobbiest that just tries to get the best bang for the buck. I guess I over think things to much... LOL.

Jason
    1969 Charger R/T---1973 Rallye Charger

Default I got it..

It always helps to have the 2 cents of others.. Points well taken and the plan has been changed.

I will now go with the DeVilbiss gun and some good paint and clear..

After reading and thinking, to save 20 bucks and have a rattle can job on a new bike would be foolish..

Again, Thank You

Default Mission Complete

Thanks Again Guys... I am very glad that I took your advice.
    A bit costly for materials but I shot it myself. Boy how things have changed since I used to spray. Back when it simple.

The Results:
    Attached Images Attached Images

looks great!

Jason
    1969 Charger R/T---1973 Rallye Charger