TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Using rattle can spray paint to paint my car?

Default Using rattle can spray paint to paint my car?

I know I am going to get BRUTALLY flamed for this idea haha

So I went to AutoZone
    Got 2 cans of black spray paint ($10).

I was thinking, "since I am going to re-strip my car this summer because I am not sure that the metal underneath the surface primer is 100% rust free (which I am sure it is but I am not going to risk $300), why not just buy a few cans of spray paint and give it a try. Besides, a couple ricers in this area do that. But atleast my black paint isnt flat black".

ha ha. So yeah, what do you guys think of spray painting panel by panel with black rattle can spray paint?
    I know dust is going to get on the paint job, but if I got the tools to buff, scuff and fix these imperfections, why cant it turn out to be a pretty good damn paint job?
    If you were to rattle can spray paint a car, would it be possible to make it look like if it was done in a shop with enough labor on getting rid of imperfections (dust, orange peel, etc)?
    Besides, atleast i used real surface primer. I got a real compressor and primer gun. So yes, the paint quality on the car will be questionable. But hey, atleast my car was prepped.

My car is a Mazda MX3. I figure that $20 more of paint will cover it all up. So far I did the left passenger fender to see how it is. I can very well say, that there is going to be alot of orange peel.
    Last edited by Total_Package; 10-26-2009 at 07:02 PM.

You'll need lots of cans! I did my bumper w/ 1 can, for good coverage. Multiply that up for the complete car. It is very hard to make it look like it's done in the shop because the NOZZLE does not spray evenly, it drips, and it does not atomize much. But it'll look okay.

88GT Guest

it will look like a $40 paint job. More to strip later.

why would you spend all that time using a real surfacing primer and getting it prepped right, and then put the crappiest paint you can buy on top of it? You will just be wasting any hard earned time and money when you could just save up a little more and put the good stuff on. You said you got a compressor and gun...why not use them?

it would be cheaper to buy kirker for 40-60 dollars and try spraying it it may turn out nice you never know. it willbe better than spray cans
    tim

88GT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 200horse
    it would be cheaper to buy kirker for 40-60 dollars and try spraying it it may turn out nice you never know. it willbe better than spray cans
    tim
    Why do anything if you cant predict the outcome.
    I never do that, and I certainly dont do something if I predict an outcome that will look like ass and cause more work

Just because the paint (if the paint is matched and prepped by a good supplier - not off the peg rubbish) is shot from a decent aerosol can as opposed to a spray gun, why should the job come out like a$$?

For me, the only set up I could build was a 3HP compressor which was on all the time so the comporessed air was moisture laden leading to water pits in the finish, through a minigun leading to striping if I didn't watch it and basically looking like a$$!

In comparison, 2K paints shot from aerosol can look really good especially if you can wetsand properly, less runs, less overspray, better control, wider passes and no equipment to clean or maintain, therefore cheaper overall.

Not going to be popular here I know, but I tried both and I prefer rattle cans to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy
    Just because the paint (if the paint is matched and prepped by a good supplier - not off the peg rubbish) is shot from a decent aerosol can as opposed to a spray gun, why should the job come out like a$$?

For me, the only set up I could build was a 3HP compressor which was on all the time so the comporessed air was moisture laden leading to water pits in the finish, through a minigun leading to striping if I didn't watch it and basically looking like a$$!

In comparison, 2K paints shot from aerosol can look really good especially if you can wetsand properly, less runs, less overspray, better control, wider passes and no equipment to clean or maintain, therefore cheaper overall.

Not going to be popular here I know, but I tried both and I prefer rattle cans to be honest.
    I never sprayed 2K products from an aerosol but several companies are making it. Have you used it? What kind did you use and how much did it cost? The stuff I've seen is $25 to $35 per can and the can has the hardener in an interior capsule that needs to be broken and mixed in before you spray. Is yours like that?