TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help, Spiderwebbing!

Default Help, Spiderwebbing!

After painting my grill pieces, I usually clear right away, BUT this time I waited 4 hrs, (just like instructions says) and it spiderwebbed on me! Actually I like the look! Looks artistic!, lol. My 2 questions are: Why did it spider, and will the paint start to come off faster than if it didn't spider? I did give it 3 coats! (It was quite tacky just before I cleared. Thanks, Dana, (great site)

Quote Originally Posted by 39 chevy
    After painting my grill pieces, I usually clear right away, BUT this time I waited 4 hrs, (just like instructions says) and it spiderwebbed on me! Actually I like the look! Looks artistic!, lol. My 2 questions are: Why did it spider, and will the paint start to come off faster than if it didn't spider? I did give it 3 coats! (It was quite tacky just before I cleared. Thanks, Dana, (great site)
    Dana
    What products are you using for base and clear?
    When you say spider webbing do you mean lifting or cracking?

Len, no cracking or lifting, Just did a spider web look, but maybey I am seeing really a lifting, (I didn't touch it yet, waiting till dries) Paint by Summit, They have that pkg (hobbyist) It's at my shop, I think urethane! Tues I can check on exact paint and how it feels!

if you are using single stage from summit that is kirker urethane paint. IS that what you are using ? Also what clear are you putting over top of it?

Yes it is single stage, and the clear is what Summit says is compatible with the urethane.

Ok there single stage is Kirker I am 100% sure of that. Why are you clearing it?? Most single stages (kirkers) do not need clear. What clear did you use?

Some of the low-end single stage paints are just acrylic enamel and putting urethane over them can cause them to lift. Been there!

I'm thinking it will give it a tougher finish! Am I wrong? I know they say u don't have to clear though.

what are you painting?? It may give you a tougher finish as long as the clear is better than the single stage. I would never clear urethane single stage. If i wanted to clear something i would use base clear. No reason to clear single stage urethane

There's nothing wrong with clearing single stage as long as they are compatible.

I have been painting all my running boards, and bracketry, and have cleared everyone, (within 30 min time range) and everyone has been fine! Except my grill ( 4hr range) I probably wont' clear this single stage again, unless I want to! Thanks for advice, and again GREAT SITE!

Whoops almost forgot! Since u know what kind of paint Summit sells, do you know what paint would be compatible with their clear that they sell? I have 2 cans and activator from them? Thanks again, Dana

Is the grill plastic or metal ? What substrate are you painting over ?

Clearing single stage is fine, an added unnecessary step in most cases but for some applications I can see where it could have some advantages.

All automotive grade urethane paints are basically the same (true urethane paint, not crossover acrylic enamels). Point being any urethane clear should be compatible with the urethane you're now using -- as long as its a real urethane and not an acrylic enamel with a urethane hardener.

Ya, I know. the only way you can tell for sure is to ask the paint manufacturer
    exactly what paint it is.

Quote Originally Posted by 39 chevy
    Whoops almost forgot! Since u know what kind of paint Summit sells, do you know what paint would be compatible with their clear that they sell? I have 2 cans and activator from them? Thanks again, Dana

Just call kirker and talk to Matt about your problems. He may not back it since it is a private label. You should be able to use any urethane clear. I have a customer using single stage kisrker candy and using SPI 2.1 clear has not had a problem and I know he isnt waiting at all.