TheCoatingStore.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cream hardner - is it all the same?

the different colors are to be used in different fillers. Its that way just so you can tell if it is 100% mixed. White use to be a popular color to be used in green duraglass. while the red was to be used in white bondo.

I have used every color hardener is every color bondo and they all worked equally well. (although using a white hardener in a light gray bondo is challenging to decide when the filler is properly mixed with the white hardener, hehehe).

Filler or filler hardener will NOT freeze in real life situations. If you were to take some filler hardener and drop it into a beaker of liquid nitrogen then its safe to assume the hardener would freeze. But I have never been confronted with a real life situation where the ambient temperature was anywhere near that of liquid nitrogen. I live in Michgian where it gets 10 deg below zero on a regular basis, and never experienced ANYTHING freeze in the bodyshop other than water based paints/primers.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V
    I have used every color hardener is every color bondo and they all worked equally well. (although using a white hardener in a light gray bondo is challenging to decide when the filler is properly mixed with the white hardener, hehehe).

Filler or filler hardener will NOT freeze in real life situations. If you were to take some filler hardener and drop it into a beaker of liquid nitrogen then its safe to assume the hardener would freeze. But I have never been confronted with a real life situation where the ambient temperature was anywhere near that of liquid nitrogen. I live in Michgian where it gets 10 deg below zero on a regular basis, and never experienced ANYTHING freeze in the bodyshop other than water based paints/primers.
    It's been my experience that there is an effect from weather but it's most noticible during hot weather, especially if the filler doesn't get kneeded

Quote Originally Posted by tech69
    It's been my experience that there is an effect from weather but it's most noticible during hot weather, especially if the filler doesn't get kneeded
    What is the "effect" that you think takes place?

I find that hardeners show signs of age (gets grainy) after long periods of storage but it doesn't make any difference what color it is. I would think that cold would have a tendency to increase the shelf life and not shorten it, just like it does with paint hardener.

it needs to be kneaded if it sits in hot weather without being used. Some of it will become runny. This is actually not something I think it's something I know. Has nothing to do with color. Color is preference and I thought we went over this.

Default Sounds Like That Old Movie from the 80's, "This Is SPINAL TAP"

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V
    All the different color hardeners are chemically the same, just different color dyes. One color is not going to work any better or worse than any of the other colors.

And those hardeners don't freeze (at least here in Freeze Your Nads, Michigan) where 10 below zero is not out of the ordinary.

Remember the scene where the band member is showing the documentary maker the amp they used and gleaming over the fact it went to 11 while all the others went only to 10 . To him it gave some mystical power his doped out pea brain couldn't find the words to explain while the dumbfounded film guy attempts to humor him. For those of you who don't remember it ; yes it was a spoof movie.
    The same is true of your hardener I think. Funny, over the years I heard the same stuff about automatic vs. revolver handguns.

" BUT these amps go to 11.." - Nigel Tufnel - Spinal Tap

Default Seriously Though The Stuff Seems To Keep Forever

I used some to fix the daughters horse trailer last summer that I bought around 1994 or so and it was a gallon can that was 9/10ths empty at that. Aside from being a tad thick it worked as always. My remedy for thick is to just thin it with hardener then work really really fast before it kicks. The only thing I ever noticed to its detriment is the hardener gets soupy when it has been frozen repeatedly.
    That forever longevity is the big thing I like about Polyurethane paint too. I had a gallon can of Imron in the basement since 1992 and it only had about an inch in there. The stuff poured out like new and painted fine when I used it a couple years back. Without the chemical hardener no hardening or drying out takes place at all.

Quote Originally Posted by drizler
    I used some to fix the daughters horse trailer last summer that I bought around 1994 or so and it was a gallon can that was 9/10ths empty at that. Aside from being a tad thick it worked as always. My remedy for thick is to just thin it with hardener then work really really fast before it kicks. The only thing I ever noticed to its detriment is the hardener gets soupy when it has been frozen repeatedly.
    That forever longevity is the big thing I like about Polyurethane paint too. I had a gallon can of Imron in the basement since 1992 and it only had about an inch in there. The stuff poured out like new and painted fine when I used it a couple years back. Without the chemical hardener no hardening or drying out takes place at all.
    You're right that the filler can be used for a long time but the hardener should be trashed after about a year. Adding too much hardener (to thin the filler or whatever) can be worse than adding too little because once you reach a certain proportion it can cause one or two problems. The first is that it can bleed through the paint causing a "stain" that will show no matter how many coats of color you apply. Secondly, too much hardener can also cause the filler to NOT harden. If you need to break up thick filler it's best to use a resin like Plastik Honey. You mix in the Plastik Honey until you get the filler consistency that you want then add the hardener.