TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cream hardner - is it all the same?

Default cream hardner - is it all the same?

I'm out of cream hardener for Evercoat poly putty. Is the bondo stuff you can buy at the autoparts store going to work for me? Or is this something specific to Evercoat? Have one more coat to put on, and I'd really like to finish it tonight. Thanks!

I hope it is all the same. I keep all my cream hardener in a box in my basement to keep it from freezing in the garage.

Bob K

yes all the same go buy some at the autoparts place

Thanks, worked fine.

I'd go blue. For some reason any filler that comes with red hardener in my exp hasn't been as good. Didn't feather as well so I guess you can contribute a little of that to the hardener. Not sure though. I go blue only

All the different color hardeners are chemically the same, just different color dyes. One color is not going to work any better or worse than any of the other colors.

And those hardeners don't freeze (at least here in Freeze Your Nads, Michigan) where 10 below zero is not out of the ordinary.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V
    All the different color hardeners are chemically the same, just different color dyes. One color is not going to work any better or worse than any of the other colors.

And those hardeners don't freeze (at least here in Freeze Your Nads, Michigan) where 10 below zero is not out of the ordinary.
    That's right, they all do exactly the same thing.

I'm not sure I agree but I also think it's probably like one of those things I'm just accustomed too. Cheap filler comes with red and good filler comes with blue. The cheap filler with the red hardener doesn't feather as nice as the fillers that use the blue hardener. I can't exactly run tests on this to see if it's actually the hardener or filler so it's an easy decision for me to stay away from the red. Not sure what others think out here but I've never worked at a shop that supplied it's techs with red hardener. I don't think I've seen red one time in a shop.

Another thing to mention, which may be stupid, is that maybe something in the pigment makes it react different like certain colors that break down quicker in the sun. Probably not but for me it was an easy decision to stay away from the red and I'll always encourage anyone to go blue

Quote Originally Posted by tech69
    I'm not sure I agree but I also think it's probably like one of those things I'm just accustomed too. Cheap filler comes with red and good filler comes with blue. The cheap filler with the red hardener doesn't feather as nice as the fillers that use the blue hardener. I can't exactly run tests on this to see if it's actually the hardener or filler so it's an easy decision for me to stay away from the red. Not sure what others think out here but I've never worked at a shop that supplied it's techs with red hardener. I don't think I've seen red one time in a shop.

Another thing to mention, which may be stupid, is that maybe something in the pigment makes it react different like certain colors that break down quicker in the sun. Probably not but for me it was an easy decision to stay away from the red and I'll always encourage anyone to go blue
    There's a big difference in fillers but no difference between red and blue hardener. Your filler supplier will probably give you any color you want with any filler you purchase unless they have purchased a large amount of one type.

FYI... Filler doesn't see much sunlight so you don't really need to be concerned about the UV effects on the color of the hardener.

I realized I worded it wrong. I meant to say that it might have some weird quarky thing to it like how certain "paint" pigments fade quicker than others, like your yellows and especially that vw green you see on bugs. That stuff fades really fast.

I'm not doubting you but to me everyfilller with red was crappy so it's easy for me and others to just stay away from red. Probably as important as tapping on something when you go thru a yellow light.

Just one of those things I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by tech69
    I realized I worded it wrong. I meant to say that it might have some weird quarky thing to it like how certain "paint" pigments fade quicker than others, like your yellows and especially that vw green you see on bugs. That stuff fades really fast.

I'm not doubting you but to me everyfilller with red was crappy so it's easy for me and others to just stay away from red. Probably as important as tapping on something when you go thru a yellow light.

Just one of those things I guess.
    Well, you're wrong, they are both the same and once you understand that you'll be able to use either type of hardener and see that there is no difference.

I think tech thinks the red hardener is inferior since that is what the Bondo brand uses, and we all know Bondo has a bad rap compared to Evercoat..............

And to tell you the truth, I'd rather use the blue Evercoat hardener for the same reason.

so if not for superstitious reasons also cause you get used to what a propper mix looks like. There's times where I see I need more hardener so I add more. I'd have a harder time figuring that out if I went red.

That said, I know I'm wrong Len and I even said it indirectly, but it's something that I don't mind being wrong on.

As Coolasice says that's the exact reason. It's mind funk I guess but I can't turn back now.

88GT Guest

I prefer blue. When I get red that comes with a product I throw it away and buy blue. Im just weird like that, but the red will harden your product. It might also bleed, but I didnt say that. All bleeding I have seen has been from red, not blue hardner. But thats just my experience. Not anyone elses. Just mine

I think it has to have peroxide to speed the curing and oxygenate it.