TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: What's the best way to remove nibs in base coat?

Default What's the best way to remove nibs in base coat?

I don't have very many but I'd like to get them out before I clear tomorrow. I have a couple of nib files I got from Len and the instructions say they can be used for dust nibs. True? Looks like I'm going to have to touch these areas up after I get the nibs out because they usually take the paint with them. They make a spot just the size of the head of a pin and I'm doubtful clear will hide it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    I don't have very many but I'd like to get them out before I clear tomorrow. I have a couple of nib files I got from Len and the instructions say they can be used for dust nibs. True? Looks like I'm going to have to touch these areas up after I get the nibs out because they usually take the paint with them. They make a spot just the size of the head of a pin and I'm doubtful clear will hide it.
    I never mess with my base coat color. If I need to remove nibs I do it AFTER the clear is applied.

88GT Guest

I agree. IF I need to mess with base at all, I re apply color before clear. But, if the nib wont tac off and wont screw the metallics up, just clear it. Nib it when you cut and buff

But then the nib is beneath two (or three) layers of clear and you have to sand all the way through to get to the nib then, don't you? How well does clear hide a small speck of crap sitting on top of the base coat?

You're always going to have some dust nibs when spraying outside of a professional booth. When you have dust nibs in the base it almost always pays to clear then de-nib then sand and polish. However if the nib is large you may need to remove it then reapply your color in order to get it perfect.

you even get dust nibs when painting IN a professional booth.even in a 80,000 dollar downdraft.i am not a painter,but the ones i have worked with always sand the nibs out after clear coat,when they cut and buff,so i have to agree with what others have already said.

88GT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    But then the nib is beneath two (or three) layers of clear and you have to sand all the way through to get to the nib then, don't you? How well does clear hide a small speck of crap sitting on top of the base coat?
    It doesnt. You cant always see a nib in the base. You have to know what will show and what wont, what is acceptable and what is not. In a nut shell, if you disturb the base at all, by nibbing, sanding, wiping with solvents etc, you need to apply more color. Many nibs blend in or are pretty undetectable if at all.

Thanks for the answers. I've followed advice and went ahead and cleared. So far, it looks good. There are things in the upper layers of clear that I know will sand out. The stuff that landed on the base, who knows? I'll know when I color sand. As you can see from the pictures, I'm working in less than ideal conditions. I've been trying to produce pro quality results in an old one-car garage. First off, I have to realize that as a novice, I couldn't produce pro quality results in a pro quality garage. Given the limitations of what I have to work with, I'm really happy. I'm fighting every last imperfection but at some point you have to pick your battles. I hope I don't see crap under my clear. Didn't want to screw with the base coat any more. Anyway, here it is:

88GT Guest

looks good. Is that a solid color? If there is, say, a dark colored bug in the base, then yes you will see it and it wont sand out if you cleared over it. In a case like that, sanding it out and spotting more base would be easy even for a novice

Yes, it's a solid color and luckily I have no bugs or other dark objects on the base. What happened was my gun started shooting junk and tiny bits of it wound up on the base coat. I was using DBC with hardener and I might have let the mix sit for a bit too long while I went and did something else. I finally saw a shred of something trying to make its way around the needle in the nose of my gun and then cleaned the whole thing out. I didn't have the problem again. But these little nibs are the same color as the paint. I did get a few bugs in the clear coat but they're right on the top and will sand out. Surprisingly few bugs and debris for an outdoor job. I guess it would be too much to ask to have only lime green bugs land in my paint.

88GT Guest

sounds like you will be ok. You might be the only one that ever knows those nibs are /were there