TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: 2003 Cavalier What Holds The Front Grill / Bumper On?

Default 2003 Cavalier What Holds The Front Grill / Bumper On?

By grill I mean the whole front "beak" bumper grill huge plastic piece that is just hung on there? It is my daughters and was gotten cheap due to it's being wrecked once but the dealership did a crap paint job on there. Everything else is fine and unlike most of the other junk Cavaliers it has the Ecotec engine which is supposed to rival Toyotas and Hondas. What I have is some early rust just starting to take hold that goes the last 5 inches to where it intersects the wheel well. I can probably just spread it apart some and get in there with a piece of sandpaper on a popsckle stick but since one of the plastic mountings nearby is broken out it really should come off. What is involved in poppin that critter off of there anyways?

I'm not familiar with that particular model but most plastic bumpers are held on with a combination of plastic rivets and small bolts that hold it to the body. Most of these attaching parts are found around the edges of the bumper but there could be a couple in the middle. If you were going to replace the bumper you can purchase a new one and look to see where it's attached but in this case you'll need to search out the fasteners one at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Len
    I'm not familiar with that particular model but most plastic bumpers are held on with a combination of plastic rivets and small bolts that hold it to the body. Most of these attaching parts are found around the edges of the bumper but there could be a couple in the middle. If you were going to replace the bumper you can purchase a new one and look to see where it's attached but in this case you'll need to search out the fasteners one at a time.
    Thanks Len, I will figure it out somehow. Too bad it is getting cold and dark early and it takes the ambition right out of me. Gotta get to it sometime before winter though before that rust gets any more tooth on it. I HATE WINTER. :o :o

i would guess that the bumper is bolted to the fender(where the fender and bumper meet). i would take off the fender liner and check there.