TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: If I am painting red, does it matter what color primer I am using?

Default If I am painting red, does it matter what color primer I am using?

My primer sealer is colored grey. Surfrace primer is whitish/grey.
    Just wondering

bright red or dark red ? What brand base? The undercoat is important some reds cover bad.

Its going to be a blaze red. More like bright red

Just wondering because when i first painted the car, I painted it black with the same whiteish/greyish surfrace 2k primer. The primer sealer before the paint was grey. The black paint job turned out great. No problems. Just wondering if it would be the same with the red.

As long as the paint covers decently you'll be ok but if it's a cheap brand then it may be difficult to cover a contrasting color.

Default The old school guys

used to paint with white or yellow to make the reds brighter, but that was in the day when red coverage was something of a rumor. Still, it might be worth doing an experiment by painting a few panels with different primer colors then hitting them with your red and see what happens.

I'd suggest pure white and the grey you've got now. If you want to try yellow it would be interesting but might change the hue of your red. If you do it, please come back and tell us what you see.

Robert

+1 for trying test panels. I did some experimenting w/ Martin Senour Crossfire line SS urethane in Dodge Flame Red w/ different colors underneath. It seemed to cover well w/ three coats, but under the right (wrong) light, you can see the difference from the substrate. In any case, I would use a uniform color underneath, and probably not black or real dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Len
    As long as the paint covers decently you'll be ok but if it's a cheap brand then it may be difficult to cover a contrasting color.
    The paint is almost $200 and its a single stage paint. Dont know if its urethane or lacqur. Got to double check

So I might be OK with the grey primer sealer ontop of the whiteish 2k surface primer.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    used to paint with white or yellow to make the reds brighter, but that was in the day when red coverage was something of a rumor. Still, it might be worth doing an experiment by painting a few panels with different primer colors then hitting them with your red and see what happens.

I'd suggest pure white and the grey you've got now. If you want to try yellow it would be interesting but might change the hue of your red. If you do it, please come back and tell us what you see.

Robert
    What do you mean by yellow? Yellow primer sealer?

Quote Originally Posted by alaskajeff
    +1 for trying test panels. I did some experimenting w/ Martin Senour Crossfire line SS urethane in Dodge Flame Red w/ different colors underneath. It seemed to cover well w/ three coats, but under the right (wrong) light, you can see the difference from the substrate. In any case, I would use a uniform color underneath, and probably not black or real dark.
    Ok, I think I will test a panel. hmmmm
    Uniform color underneath?
    Like paint a base color?

The more I think about it, I think it might be much better if I keep my car colored black. I dont want to spend $180 on red paint just to have the car come out weird looking.

Atleast if I paint my car single stage black, I know it will turn out black.

Quote Originally Posted by Total_Package
    The paint is almost $200 and its a single stage paint. Dont know if its urethane or lacqur. Got to double check

So I might be OK with the grey primer sealer ontop of the whiteish 2k surface primer.

What do you mean by yellow? Yellow primer sealer?

Ok, I think I will test a panel. hmmmm
    Uniform color underneath?
    Like paint a base color?

The more I think about it, I think it might be much better if I keep my car colored black. I dont want to spend $180 on red paint just to have the car come out weird looking.

Atleast if I paint my car single stage black, I know it will turn out black.
    If you seal the whole car in light grey primer sealer it should be fine. If you have light grey areas & white 2K areas, you might see a difference in color, but you'd probably be OK. My testing was over white, original red, etch green and black-lots of contrast.