TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Which DuPont Clear Coat?

Default Which DuPont Clear Coat?

Just Looking at DuPont's tech sheets on their website... and there's a bewildering number of Clearcoats in their "Chroma System".

I'm planning to use the Chromabase as the base... but not sure what the right clear to use would be. Does anyone have any experience / recommendations?

I'll be painting an '88 Mustang a medium metallic grey in my garage with a Devilbiss 670 Plus, and wetsanding/polishing for final appearance.

88GT Guest

I used to love the 7500S till they stopped making it. Never cared a great deal for the 7900S so didnt switch to that. Instead, I switched to the Nason High solids clear. The 465-00, 2-1-20% mix ratio. Not the other 3-1 or 4-1 stuff. If you have alot of money, the high solids Chroma premier (forget the numbers) would be a good choice, but you cant buy only enough for one car.
    You would be fine with the 7900S or the new 4-1 clear that replaced the 7500. I just dont care for it.

88GT, what is it about the Nason 4:1 that you don’t like? I tried some 496-00 three weeks ago and I was happy with it for the price. The thing I liked was for panel painting it is “Out of dust” in 5-10 minutes and me without a booth that is what I need. On the down side it didn’t seem to have the self leveling that I got with Spies Hecker 8015 and ultra fast hardener, but at one fourth the cost I can live with a little wave in the surface. It took me a couple weeks to see the wave in the trunk lid. It was visible when I looked at the reflection of the ceiling of a car port I used in Alabama (bright light of mid day). We don’t have car ports up north and when It goes into the garage it is too dark to detect the waves. I won’t see it again until February. Maybe I’ll sand it flat before then.

Bob K

88GT Guest

If Im going to use Nason clear, I want the best Nason makes. Ive tried the 4-1. Its ok I suppose. I have no idea about longevity, and thats what I dont like. I can make it look great but I dont know how well it holds up. I also like the fact that I dont need to put 3 coats on with the 465-00 and can still cut the :censored: out of it like I would after 3 coats of the 7500S Im also happy to say that since I started using the Nason about 2 years ago and the trizact 3000, I havent burned a single thing. Oh, and another good thing about the 465-00 is a gallon with activator and reducer will do 2 completes

Default Chromoclear

I sprayed Chromoclear this summer for the first time and it layed down like nothing else I have ever shot. I have shot most all major brands and this went on perfect aside from a little trash.........this is the slickest and easiest I have ever sprayed.
    [SIGPIC]

88GT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by another2centsworth
    I sprayed Chromoclear this summer for the first time and it layed down like nothing else I have ever shot. I have shot most all major brands and this went on perfect aside from a little trash.........this is the slickest and easiest I have ever sprayed.
    The new 4:1 clear? Ive never tried it. I was sold on the high solids Nason when it came out

I've been using their G2-4500S for the last couple of years and like it.
    Thoughts and comments expressed by me are mine based on my own experience and research and shared here freely. I am not a professional nor make any claim to be as such

The guy at my paint store recommended the Nason 3:1 stuff....

I've done about half the parts, and it seems to go on pretty well, and look nice. I've got a little bit of orange peel in places, but that's very likely due to my relative inexperience at this. Hopefully it will wet sand/polish out.

Yep, the 497-00, thats good clear.

FWIW, I love the 7900. Compared to what I used to use 20 years ago, I was absolutely giddy after my first paint job with 7900. And, I have the plus gun from Len. If the general feelings around here are that the 7900 isn't all that good relatively speaking, then I might explode if I use something else!
    Mike

Default 3:1

Quote Originally Posted by 88GT
    The new 4:1 clear? Ive never tried it. I was sold on the high solids Nason when it came out
    This was a 3:1 no reduction clear.....and pricey.....think it was 7900 or something....
    [SIGPIC]

The Nason clears that I have used have stood the test of time for me....we use Nason for economy paint jobs.

In our shop we use mostly 72200 ChromaPremier clear. I find it to be much better than the 7500S. No die-back at all, and buffs up REAL nice.

--
    Gordon

***Shareware Estimating Program***

I have used the 7900,G2-4700, G2-4500, 72200, 72500, 74500, and 74700. Also the nason 465 and 497. They all worked very good. All of them will look the same if you are sanding and buffing. It really depends on you specifically as to which one is better for your situation. If price is an issue I would also recommend the nason 465. Also I wouldn't use 72500 without a heated booth.

A big factor in choosing a clear is your skill level, where your painting at and gun choice. I wouldn't use a high solid like 72500 with a cheap gun in a garage. Another thing to consider is solid content. You can't compare price on a lower solid clear like 7900 or nason 496, 497 to a high solid clear. The high solid will go alot further. I can burn through half of a gallon on the front end of a car with a lower solid clear. With 72500 I would use under a quart.

Also tip size of your gun. If all you have is a 1.4 or 1.5 I would use a lower solid. If you have smaller you can spray higher solids easier. Also you will have a harder time getting the proper mils using a 1.2 or 1.3 with something like nason 496 or 497.

The 465 is a good middle ground. It sprays nice and builds good. Price is really good also. The only tip I have for it is to buy the Chromapremier reducer for it instead of the nason reducer. It sprays considerably better.