TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: air or electric buffer?

Default air or electric buffer?

Most people I have seen use an electric buffer, but I have seen air driven buffers as well, and seem to be around the same price. A fellow student said his father has one and says it's really nice to use. Lighter and does a great job. Anyone else use pnuematic buffers, or everyone prefer electric?

I've had two air buffers over the years and I will say that they are lighter but, for me, the negatives outweigh the positives.

Today's better electric buffers are not as heavy as the older models and they have "automatic speed control" which keeps the buffer at relatively the same speed as pressure is applied to the pad. While an air buffer is lighter in weight it has no automatic speed control and the speed and air pressure need to be high in order to cut reasonably fast. When you need to apply pressure with an air buffer you need to increase the speed/air pressure so that you don't loose too much RPM when pressure is applied to the pad. This compensating for air can be mastered but there's a lot more room for error while electric machines give you a more easily controlled process.

One additional reason for an electric buffer is that you don't need a compressor everywhere you want to polish something.