TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Nason Ful-Base B/c Basecoat Spray Tip?

Default Nason Ful-Base B/c Basecoat Spray Tip?

Hi,
    I am using Dupont Nason Ful-Base B/C Basecoat & Nason SelectClear 497-00 urethane clearcoat for my current project. I went to the Dupont website and reviewed Dupont's Technical Manual Pdf and neither specifies the HVLP spray gun tip size?

Here is a link to both Dupont Pdf's . . . How can they leave this out?

http://pc.dupont.com/dpc/en/US/html/...-cbasecoat.pdf

http://pc.dupont.com/dpc/en/US/html/...son/497-00.pdf

Can anyone point me in the right direction or provide some HVLP tip size guidance?

TIA

I have sprayed Nason for years. I use a 1.4 tip.

most time while spraying nason I have noticed you need 3 coats. It seems like when you only put on 2 it dyes back.

I quit using the Nason Clear because it seemed to get too many dust specs in it and took too long to dry. but if you have a good controlled enviroment you should be fine. If not you may want to look into Transtar MTR clear or Duponts Snap clear.

The 1.4 is the all around favorite for clear.
    A 1.3 or 1.5 will work fine but most prefer the 1.4.:cool:

Thanks for the replies everyone, I have a 1.5 & 1.2 tip available so I guess I should use the 1.5 spray tip, right?

I would put 10% reducer in my clear and spray it with the 1.2 tip. The base I would spray with the 1.5.

Quote Originally Posted by mmooney84
    I would put 10% reducer in my clear and spray it with the 1.2 tip. The base I would spray with the 1.5.
    Why would you spray the thicker paint (the clear) with the smaller tip? The clear that I use even reduced 10 percent is far thicker than my basecoat that I spray. I would use the 1.5 for the clear if you can't get a 1.4. If you are getting runs because the 1.5 is putting out too much material you can always dial it down some with the fluid dial but I think you are going to have a hard time with a 1.2. Shoot a test panel and see what works for you though as some paints are thinner than others.

[QUOTE=srsupertrap]Hi,
    I am using Dupont Nason Ful-Base B/C Basecoat & Nason SelectClear 497-00 urethane clearcoat for my current project. I went to the Dupont website and reviewed Dupont's Technical Manual Pdf and neither specifies the HVLP spray gun tip size?

Here is a link to both Dupont Pdf's . . . How can they leave this out?

http://pc.dupont.com/dpc/en/US/html/...-cbasecoat.pdf

http://pc.dupont.com/dpc/en/US/html/...son/497-00.pdf

If you are New or you are not a Production painter or you are a Slow and Deliberate painter you are better with a 1.3 Tip.

If you paint for a living .. are acustom to a Fast pace then go with the 1.4 Tip
    The 1.4 tip applies more material and you are in higher danger of runs and sags if you cannot keep up with the flow.

Lonnie

Quote Originally Posted by BradNes1
    Why would you spray the thicker paint (the clear) with the smaller tip? The clear that I use even reduced 10 percent is far thicker than my basecoat that I spray. I would use the 1.5 for the clear if you can't get a 1.4. If you are getting runs because the 1.5 is putting out too much material you can always dial it down some with the fluid dial but I think you are going to have a hard time with a 1.2. Shoot a test panel and see what works for you though as some paints are thinner than others.

You must have never used Nason products before? They are very thin the clear and the base coat. I would actually probably recommend using the 1.2 for it all.

The smaller tip will also atomize it better

I also agree on the nason clear being thin