Thread: Question about Single Stage?

Hybrid View

Default Question about Single Stage?

Help me out. I am painting my first car with Acrylic Urethane SS. I am painting the parts individually off the car.. Today I sprayed the front fenders with 3 coats, then later the hood and both doors.. The hood and doors look like glass, super shiny, but the parts I painted earlier look noticibly duller.. What happened? Can buffing fix this? or do I need to sand and re-spray?

Quote Originally Posted by peewee
    Help me out. I am painting my first car with Acrylic Urethane SS. I am painting the parts individually off the car.. Today I sprayed the front fenders with 3 coats, then later the hood and both doors.. The hood and doors look like glass, super shiny, but the parts I painted earlier look noticibly duller.. What happened? Can buffing fix this? or do I need to sand and re-spray?
    It's difficult to say exactly what the problem was but buffing should fix it. If you have a decent buffer you can try sanding a small area with some 1500 or 2000 grit wet sandpaper then polishing it with compound and at low RPMs to see what it produces. What color are the panels?

Hi Len, color is Marine Blue.. Nothing fancy... It was strange. No fisheyes, little if any orange peel, but the shinyness is different.. The hood & doors look wet, the fenders are shiny but dont look wet.. Pretty noticable difference.. By the way, thanks for all the help and the Devilbiss gun is great.. Sure beats the chinese guns I was using before..

maybe a difference in temperature and humidity?
    i have never sprayed any urathane ss. just my guess.

I think I may have figured out the mystery.. I noticed some tools in the garage with some slight overspray that got out from under my spraying tent.. I think the lack of shine on my fenders is from overspray, I will sand and buff next week, we will see then.. Thanks

Before you sand try a clay bar. If the original paint was hard and the overspray landed on the fenders then there is a possibility that the overspray is not linked to the under laying clear coat, but just sitting there. A clay bar is good at removing that stuff and not hurting the clear coat.

When you get a clay bar also get the liquid lube that is to be used with it, glycerin I think. I am sure Len has them in the store.