TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Urethane Bumper Repair...filling holes

Default Urethane Bumper Repair...filling holes

Installing replacement urethane bumper cover on the wife's 05 Dodge Magnum...picked one up that needs some minor repairs, (rock chips, light scratches, a couple of deeper scratches, and license plate bracket mounting holes).

I've been searching on here and my material needs looks like...

Evercoat Poly-Flex for filling scratches
    Bulldog adhesion promoter for any bare/exposed plastic
    Flex agent in primers, base, and clear

What should I use to fill the 2 screw holes from the plate bracket?
    Should I use the Poly-Flex or something different?

The only other damage on the car is a scuff on the rear bumper cover so I plan on repairing and painting it as well.

How much base and clear to buy for both bumper covers?
    The car is silver by the way.

I would use the plastic repair kit for the holes. scratches the polyflex will be fine.

A quart of paint should be good. A pint would probably not be enough unless you have some other silver color you can use as the first coat of base.

I quart of clear with activator should barely be enough but if you plan on doing anymore work in the future you might as well get a gallon.

Quote Originally Posted by roozterdvx
    Installing replacement urethane bumper cover on the wife's 05 Dodge Magnum...picked one up that needs some minor repairs, (rock chips, light scratches, a couple of deeper scratches, and license plate bracket mounting holes).

I've been searching on here and my material needs looks like...

Evercoat Poly-Flex for filling scratches
    Bulldog adhesion promoter for any bare/exposed plastic
    Flex agent in primers, base, and clear

What should I use to fill the 2 screw holes from the plate bracket?
    Should I use the Poly-Flex or something different?

The only other damage on the car is a scuff on the rear bumper cover so I plan on repairing and painting it as well.

How much base and clear to buy for both bumper covers?
    The car is silver by the way.
    For just small screw holes I'd recommend countersinking the holes and filling them with Poly-Flex but if they're any larger than screw holes you should use repair adhesive with reinforcing mesh.

You should be able to get away with a quart of color and a quart of clear for two bumpers.

Quote Originally Posted by Len
    For just small screw holes I'd recommend countersinking the holes and filling them with Poly-Flex but if they're any larger than screw holes you should use repair adhesive with reinforcing mesh.

You should be able to get away with a quart of color and a quart of clear for two bumpers.

the license plate bracket was screwed directly into the bumper cover with #12 or #14 sheetmetal screws so the holes are approx. 3/16" or less.

I want to do this repair right so should I use the adhesive or is the poly-flex the way to go?

use the adhesive with mesh drywall tape behind it. Then finish it off with the poly flex.

Quote Originally Posted by roozterdvx
    the license plate bracket was screwed directly into the bumper cover with #12 or #14 sheetmetal screws so the holes are approx. 3/16" or less.

I want to do this repair right so should I use the adhesive or is the poly-flex the way to go?
    Use the adhesive. If you bevel the edge and use adhesion promoter you probably won't need reinforcing mesh.

thanks guys...I'll be going with the adhesive to fill the holes and the poly-flex for scatches.

now I just need to get the rest of the parts and pieces together before I start buying materials