TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Toilet paper air filter

Default Toilet paper air filter

I know we were making fun a couple weeks ago about using a toilet paper roll as an air filter. I was just browsing ebay and saw this in Australia. lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2BSI%26otn%3D4

Quote Originally Posted by mmooney84
    I know we were making fun a couple weeks ago about using a toilet paper roll as an air filter. I was just browsing ebay and saw this in Australia. lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2BSI%26otn%3D4
    These toilet paper filters will work but you need to change the filter often or it will start spitting little wet balls of paper out of your spray gun. That one from ebay seems a little expensive because Motor Guard makes one that we sell (below) for a lot less.

Yea it seems dangerous to me. Little pieces of toilet paper clogging your gun.. I am going to just buy the desiccant one.

THANKS

I'd worry about that toilet paper one restricting air flow.
    I don't see how you could get enough air through toilet paper
    to run a HVLP.

I have the Motorguard one Len showed.
    They're great, you can even remove it and dry it out when you're
    not useing it. They last a long time.
    I highly recommend one for any painting,
    they remove the water and filter extra fine.
    and don't restrict the air flow.
    Of coarse they're good for air tools too, but I have a dedicated
    line for painting and I have it on that. :cool:

I worked in a bodyshop/paintshop years ago that used two 5hp industrial air compressors (one was Kellogg American and the other was a Curtis). The Kellogg was a good compressor but the Curtis was old and for the most part worn out. The piston rings were worn which allowed oil to enter the air lines. Not a lot of oil, just enough to cause fish eyes in the paint. Not all of the time but either way it wasn't acceptible. I told the boss about it several times and he just blew it off and made stupid excuses for what was causing the fisheyes. I went to the local paint store and bought one of those Motorguard toilet paper filters (putting the cost of it on the shops account). The boss was pissed that I bought it without asking him but changed his tune when he seen how well that toilet paper filter worked. It worked great, no more fisheyes and we never had a problem with the paper breaking off in fine paticles coming out of the air hoses. Long story short - It worked great.

Have I have this one
    http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/m...egory_Code=FAR

Is the motor guard better then the one I have?

Tom, that water trap/filter you have should work fine for you. As far as I'm concerned the toilet paper filter is a special application only. In other words if your compressor is pumping oil then the motor guard TP filter is a good choice but in just about all the other instances are regular filter/trap/regulator should work fine in a properly setup air delivery system.

Phil,

Thanks. Was just double checking to make sure I am covered.

I have sprayed already with the filter I have (and also with the bulb filter attached to gun for extra measures) and so far no problems to speak of with the piping arrangement I have.

Default Motor Guard Toilet Roll Filters

Been using the same "dragpot" filter hanging on the wall for around 8 years or so painting, priming, & sanding using it regularly in the shop. I have never had one failure from fisheyes using this filter. The flow rate is more than I will ever need. Period. I change filter elements every job and I use the motor guard filter element brand (around $5.50 each) not toilet paper. I use a gun filter also. I love it!!!!
    [SIGPIC]

Don't mean to hijack the thread here,,, but has anyone heard anything about the new (I think) gizmo that Wix filters is selling?.

http://www.aquachekfilters.com/wps/portal/aquachek

I didn't read through much of the information on it,, so I don't know if it's really intended to be used for painting..
    Waterford, Mi.

Tom,

That is some awesome photos you posted. Did you use base coat clear coat or is that lacquer? Did you improvise a paint booth or just do it in your shop?

Outlaw56

Hi Outlaw56,

It is all sprayed with Single Stage Urethane.

RED Mahogany from Prospray
    The Black is from SPI

I did all the body work and sprayed in a third car garage that we had added onto the back of our existing 2 1/2 car garage. In the garage I covered as much as I could with plastic bought two cheapo box fans place used them in the windows with filters to draw out the over spray. Nothing to fancy but it did the job. I had did have to wet sand and buff since it wasn't easy to get every bit of dust out of the garage after sanding. But overall I pleased with how it turned out.

Well however you did it, you have the satisfaction of saying you did it yourself, and most likely saved some big bucks.

Outlaw56