TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: 27 Rolls Royce

Default 27 Rolls Royce

Well we're almost ready to paint this monster. We backed it out of the shop to blow some of the dust off it then pulled it back in, jacked it up and removed the tires.

The masking job was probably one of the most difficult I've ever done because we need to Slick Sand everything even the Jambs because they are wood and need to be painted.

I hope to be spraying paint over this coming weekend but that may be pushing it a little.

rolls4.jpg

Default Cool

Cool Len,
    How many total man hours are in it up to now?
    [SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by another2centsworth
    Cool Len,
    How many total man hours are in it up to now?
    Not too many, the customer removed all of the hardware, installed running boards and did some filler work that we are finishing. Since these pictures were taken we applied a couple coats of Slick Sand to about half the car which will be the same manor that we will paint it, half at a time. It's going to get a Porsche white so that it's an appropriate color for a wedding limo. Up to this point we have about 60 hours in it.

that step thingy is gonna look cool as heck when it's all painted. It really adds to the styling of that car.

Do you need an adhesion promoter to paint on wood?

Quote Originally Posted by showcar
    that step thingy is gonna look cool as heck when it's all painted. It really adds to the styling of that car.

Do you need an adhesion promoter to paint on wood?
    Yes, the running boards are pretty cool, I'm hoping that the owner protects them with covering or moldings so that they don't get too beat up.

No AP needed on the wood but it does need to be cleaned real well. I do quite a bit of wood painting and never have a problem with adhesion because it's so porous that the coatings bite on real well.

Hey Len,

Cool project I must say. Is this an original or has there been some mods made to it?

Is the whole car going to be white or will there be some other contrasting color for the reveals, fenders etc. ?

I ask because when it comes time to lay paint on the rest of my car I need to decide on what part to paint first. The roof and reveals which will be black and the rest will be Red Mahogany. No matter which one I do first there will be allot of taping going on. I am thinking I will need to purchase some of that 3M transition tape to help cut down on the paints lines.

To me I think painting the Red Mahogany first since them areas are flat and then tape off for the black . What ya think?

Quote Originally Posted by dadspackard
    Hey Len,

Cool project I must say. Is this an original or has there been some mods made to it?

Is the whole car going to be white or will there be some other contrasting color for the reveals, fenders etc. ?

I ask because when it comes time to lay paint on the rest of my car I need to decide on what part to paint first. The roof and reveals which will be black and the rest will be Red Mahogany. No matter which one I do first there will be allot of taping going on. I am thinking I will need to purchase some of that 3M transition tape to help cut down on the paints lines.

To me I think painting the Red Mahogany first since them areas are flat and then tape off for the black . What ya think?
    No this is not an original. The body was removed from the frame and dropped on top of a big block chevy frame suspension and running gear. The owner is customizing the interior to include a bar and electronics. It's going to be a tricked out wedding limo. :cool:

Default Applied the Top Coat

This Rolls is a pretty complicated job to paint so I masked off the bottom which included the running boards, fenders, quarters and rear then painted the cowl, doors and jambs.

After that hardened (a couple days) I masked off the top and painted the lower areas and the back. In my younger, more inexperienced days, I probably would have tried spraying it all at once but between all the variables and my lessening endurance I decided to do a split session.

In areas like the running boards the paint tends to bounce back in your face while you spray. It makes me glad I cover my entire head but, as you can tell by my lens protector, it did get a little difficult to see by the third coat.

That's gonna look BA when it's all buffed out. Some gold leaf would look baaad with that car!

That is awesome!! Great work as usual Len.

Quote Originally Posted by cummins724
    That is awesome!! Great work as usual Len.
    The Rolls owner picked up his car on Saturday and started assembling it. He sent me these pictures from his phone.

Smile

one day im gonna get me a box like that to spray my cars in!

great job man,

Sagola pistola= thug life..