TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Limco LC4000 Clear question

Default Limco LC4000 Clear question

i think there have been previous posts regarding this clear, and i had never been able to add my thoughts. Well, i kinda found a FULL, unopened gallon of this sitting back in the mixing room today, and had some time to kill, so i decided to try it out. Obviously, because i had never used it, I jumped on BASF's web site and read through the TDS to find the mix ratio, flash time, dry time, etc. Once i familiarized myself with it, I jumped into it. Straight out of the can, it seemed like it was some what thicker then most medium solids clears. So, I put it to MY hardest test...I POUNDED on coat after coat (after the initial "tack coat") to try to find the running point. I was surprised as hell to find that i could lay down THREE FULL WET COATS back to back to back after that first tack coat and the stuff simply would not run. This clear had one hell of a gloss....i'll take a few pics of the small parts tomorrow, once it is fully dry.

I do have one question to ask of anyone that uses or may have used Limco products.

Why do ALL of the TDS sheets for the Limco line state that there is NO WARRANTY WHAT-SO-EVER offered from BASF?
    Is there a flaw in the product that I should know about?

I was extremely impressed with the gloss, and may actually use the rest of the gallon on some custom work so that it doesn't go to waste as some of the other clears in our mixing room.

I use quite a bit of BASF paint but Limco is there "bottom-of-the-line" paint. I used it a couple times and found it to be ok for horse trailers but not for better automotive use. It is inexpensive and it may look great right after you apply it but it's the test of time that a paint shows it's worth and with NO WARRANTY WHAT-SO-EVER my guess is that it doesn't hold up very well.

That was my thoughts, but since i have never used it before today, i couldnt actually say it for sure. as for COST, im not sure of that either, and my father didnt even know it was there, let alone WHEN he might have bought it or what he paid. normally, paint manufacturers offer SOME sort of warranty, so that part about NO WARRANTY that they specifically state on the TDS was somewhat of a concern to me. i can see letting it go to waste, but i dont for see using it on a customer's car. I'll probably save it for some stuff that i do for myself or for friends, and even THEN i'll be sure to let them know that i can't guarantee what it will look like after a while.

Thanks Len.

Quote Originally Posted by bunkystrimline
    That was my thoughts, but since i have never used it before today, i couldnt actually say it for sure. as for COST, im not sure of that either, and my father didnt even know it was there, let alone WHEN he might have bought it or what he paid. normally, paint manufacturers offer SOME sort of warranty, so that part about NO WARRANTY that they specifically state on the TDS was somewhat of a concern to me. i can see letting it go to waste, but i dont for see using it on a customer's car. I'll probably save it for some stuff that i do for myself or for friends, and even THEN i'll be sure to let them know that i can't guarantee what it will look like after a while.

Thanks Len.
    Something like that is good for coating furniture that isn't real important because it is kept out of the weather.

Default Limco

I've sprayed Limco a few times. Very good gloss but it doesnt seem to get very hard when cured. Limco is what Maaco uses as there bottom line paint. I surprised that Maaco gives any warranty at all considering that Basf doesnt give one for Limco.

Default Limco

I used it (4100 high solids) on a motorcycle and car...it seems to take forever to get hard. The bike was parked inside after it was painted, it was never cut or buffed.... the clear had a slight orange peel finish...but after 4 months you can hardly see it now... seems it took many weeks to lay down... is that possible??

Quote Originally Posted by Vette Mech
    I used it (4100 high solids) on a motorcycle and car...it seems to take forever to get hard. The bike was parked inside after it was painted, it was never cut or buffed.... the clear had a slight orange peel finish...but after 4 months you can hardly see it now... seems it took many weeks to lay down... is that possible??

never HEARD of the orange peel just kinda settling after 4 months...even 4 WEEKS for that matter. Everything else that i've ever sprayed, if it has an orange peel look after its been curing for about 24-48 hours, ITS ORANGE PEELED and needs to be cut and buffed.
    Obviously, it is possible if you say it happened, but it does seem like a very odd occurrence.