TheCoatingStore.com

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 1965 Mustang Coupe - Father and Son Build

Started working on the engine bay today. We are putting the Rod and Custom tubular front suspension with power r&p steering, disc brakes, coilovers, etc.

The passenger front fender apron, front 6" of frame rail, and core support will need to be replaced. Got the parts, going to start on it tomorrow.

More progress for anyone that is interested...

Got the rusted core support and passenger front fender apron cut out.

NPD makes a very high quality frame extension patch. This corner of the frame sits right under the battery, battery acid eats through the tray, fender apron, and all the way to the frame rail, so all of it has to be replaced.

Closeup of the rust.

Here is our notebook, with a measurements.

Looking for 29 1/2", which is exactly how it came out. Measure twice, cut once.

All braced up and ready to weld.

My welder was on the highest setting, and had decent penetration, but would have liked a little more, so I welded the seam inside and out.

Very cool! Please keep posting as you progress.

man, that is what it is all about...awesome! i have twin boys that are 7 and i can't wait until we do the same thing that you and your son are doing. great work by the way!

Thanks guys.

Great job so far. Keep the progress pics coming!

Not much, but a small update from this weekend.

Cut the Shock Towers off and got rid of the sway bar mount, and other brackets on the frame in preparation for the Rod and Custom Mustang II style tubular / coilover front suspension.

BTW, this is my first time doing any kind of restoration like this, so any constructive criticism or things you see I could do better I certainly welcome!

The front suspension kit comes with a shock tower delete panel, and me and matt cut cut a piece of sheetmetal to make the front part of the engine bay look nicer. The bead rolled slots and weld seams will be smoothed with body filler.

Excellent and love those rims...they are Boss 308's right? Those are the ones I want for my Wagon.

Quote Originally Posted by J-rod
    Excellent and love those rims...they are Boss 308's right? Those are the ones I want for my Wagon.
    Thanks J-rod. Yes, the wheels are Boss, but they are actually 338's. Can't beat the price for a knockoff foose type wheel.

very nice both my mustangs were to be father son project but the cars lost out to girls and motorcycles they became father projects with some help from good friends, but my sons sure like to drive them, i guess they could be doing worse things. keep up the good work cant wait to see the end result.

great job and great father and son project, i just hope my two sons share the same love for early model cars and resto work that i do. I learned this hobby from my father when he and my older brother restored a old Cheyenne, i wasn't but about 8 or so he probably didn't even know i was paying attention but i was hooked on making something so damn ugly look pretty again. I just hope my kids will want to learn from me also, best of luck to you and your son, he will treasure the car alot more than just going out and buying one thats for sure.

Thanks,
    Ryan

"Save the cheap paint for the power-wheels"

Komplete Kustoms