TheCoatingStore.com

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 1965 Mustang Coupe - Father and Son Build

Yes it is his car... he is 18.

Quote Originally Posted by turbocobra View Post
    Yes it is his car... he is 18.
    I think its great that you and your son are doing an older mustang as a father son project. I dont' mean to rain on your parade but there is no way in hell I would give any 18 year old (son or daughter) a 300 to 500 hp car. The reason the drinking age is 21 is because kids at 18 make bad decisions. Psychologists will tell you that an 18 year old persons brain isn't "full wired" to function as an adult. They just don't get it, they think they are invincible. We all took chances back at that age that most normal adults would not do. Some got away with it and some didn't. A good friend of my sons dad bought his son a crotch rocket for his 18th birthday. Less than a month later he made a bad choice and totaled the bike. He sustained permanent brain damage and will be 12 years old mentally for the rest of his life. We all said " what the hell was his dad thinking, the dad is as much or more to blame than his son". You can say - well my son is very responsible and wouldn't take stupid chances in that car but all it takes is one or two buddies riding along with him to egg him on to drive the car recklessly. Like I said - I don't mean to rain on your parade but it needed to be said.

I think the car is looking really nice . I'm a Ford guy and would have went with a Ford engine just in case i wanted to sell it . But i think the engine you are going with is cool . Kind of reminds of the 50s and 60s when we changed motors from one make to another all the time .

Your boy looks like a good kid in the pictures and i'm sure he will be just fine .

Mooch

Thumbs up

Nice project, and very nice work.....you guys should be real proud!

As far as the Toyota engine.... I think it's pretty cool, that's thinking 'outside the box'!

Keep up the good work, and look forward to updates,
    Jason
    1969 Charger R/T---1973 Rallye Charger

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    I think its great that you and your son are doing an older mustang as a father son project. I dont' mean to rain on your parade but there is no way in hell I would give any 18 year old (son or daughter) a 300 to 500 hp car. The reason the drinking age is 21 is because kids at 18 make bad decisions. Psychologists will tell you that an 18 year old persons brain isn't "full wired" to function as an adult. They just don't get it, they think they are invincible. We all took chances back at that age that most normal adults would not do. Some got away with it and some didn't. A good friend of my sons dad bought his son a crotch rocket for his 18th birthday. Less than a month later he made a bad choice and totaled the bike. He sustained permanent brain damage and will be 12 years old mentally for the rest of his life. We all said " what the hell was his dad thinking, the dad is as much or more to blame than his son". You can say - well my son is very responsible and wouldn't take stupid chances in that car but all it takes is one or two buddies riding along with him to egg him on to drive the car recklessly. Like I said - I don't mean to rain on your parade but it needed to be said.
    Phil, I appreciate the guidance adn thougths. Hate to hear about your friends son and the crotch rocket. I think each teenager is different. There is no way I would give my daughter this car, because she is a bit wrecklace, careless and has that invincible type attitude. Matt (my son), is very conservative and safe. If kids today really want to be wrecklace or safe, they can do that in any of our cars. All the cars in our drive way have between 260-350 HP, and he drives them all. He used to ride dirt bikes, and was always real safe on those, never had an accident out on the trails.

Oh and you didn't rain on my parade, we are moving forward with all plans... again, I do appreciate you sharing your perspective.

We painted the engine bay yesterday:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9YAum4519s[/YOUTUBE]

We painted the engine bay yesterday:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9YAum4519s[/YOUTUBE]
    Lookin good! Love the color.

Thanks Len, the Tekna gun worked great. Appreciate all your support, and the support of this site.

Default More, more, more...

Thanks Len, the Tekna gun worked great. Appreciate all your support, and the support of this site.
    Glad to see PAINT going on!!! Great color like the boss said.

Color takes me back to a neighborhood buddy who bought one of the first 289 Fastbacks in that color with black interior. I still see his car in my mind anytime I read something on older Mustangs.

You guys are doing a fantastic job and your photo documentation is great and so important. Glad you're sharing you build on this site so we all can follow and the advice and products you need are available here as well. Can't wait to see more going forward. Now you can say It Will Be Done THIS Year. Henry

Henry, Mooch, Jaak, thanks for the positive comments.

Len, thanks for all the advice and good products over the last 2-3 years. We are on the final stretch of this thing, will be painting it soon, then onto final assembly.

Here is a video from last night, with the motor going back for hopefully the last time...

LOVE the color turbo!!! 8)
    [SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by another2centsworth View Post
    LOVE the color turbo!!! 8)
    Thanks man!

On the final stages of bodywork in prep for paint.

We decided to install 64 thunderbird (shelby style) tail lights in the 65.

Here are 3 videos where we captured our progress.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

You guys are doing great work! Cant wait for the picture heavy final results!

Gib

Thanks Gib.

We put the car in final prime over the weekend... a few pics.