TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 54 Chevy Flat Bed

Default 54 Chevy Flat Bed

This Chevy truck had a lot of surface rust that we sanded then treated with Picklex 20 then did our body work and primed.

After cleaning off the loose rust Zero Rust did an excellent job on the frame and underbody.

Default Patching

We removed the lower cab corner and replaced it using the backing strip method and it came out perfect.
    We brushed Zero Rust inside the opening when we removed the metal.

54chev3.jpg

54chev4.jpg

54chev5.jpg

54chev6.jpg

Default Holes

There were quite a few holes in the sheet metal that needed to be repaired.

We welded, ground, filled, prepped and primed and they came out great.

54chev7.jpg
    54chev8.jpg
    54chev9.jpg
    54chev10.jpg

looks GREAT Len. Question for ya regarding this particualr job. How long did it take you roughly (actual WORKING TIME) to get from the point that you first posted and the last post? reason i ask is regarding something that i was bitching about a couple months back with my dads shop, which i paint at, and most recently, basically RUN. We have a 68 Chevy P/u here that is practically a restoration, except some hard to find parts that WE have to reman.
    To my question, this job has been here for quite a long time, longer then i wish to mention, as i've heard MORE then enough criticism about more or less STORING the truck until the owner decides to take it out of here. I am going to take a few pics of the job up to this point i a few minutes and post them when i get home...prob in about 45 minutes from now, they should be up in a new thread. I am, by far, NOT a body man...i can EXPLAIN The process that should be done, but DOING it is another story. Is it possible to look at a job, take into consideration the knowledge that i have expressed and any further info i provide on the thread and determine whether or not i should even ATTEMPT the task at hand? i will be posting this new thread shortly, so i look forward to talking to you guys shortly (i only live about 5 mins from the shop, so it wont be long at all...longest part is locking down the fort and getting the hell outa here...lol)

I'd say we have about 250 hours in it from beginning to end. I'll be posting more pics shortly.

Looks great Len. I see you used the backing strip method on the lower cab repair.

Quick question about that. When you put the backing strip piece on the part being repaired, you secured with clamps or machine screws. Do you also secure the patch to the backing strip using the same method? If so, how do you press hard enough with the self tapping machine screws to start it without bending the backing strip or patch for that matter?

So far I have butt welded the repairs I have made, but I am going to try the backing strip method going forward. It was no fun dealing with the blowouts with the thin metal on the car.
    Last edited by turbocobra; 01-22-2009 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Len
    I'd say we have about 250 hours in it from beginning to end. I'll be posting more pics shortly.

ok, that atleast makes me feel that much better about the project that i am in the process of posting. my computer has been acting goofy, so i couldnt upload the pics. the pics are in the process of uploading to photobucket as i speak, so the job i was refering to in my last post will be up shortly. Even with as long as the truck has been in the shop, i'd say there is ONLY about MAYBE 60-75 WORKING hours into it.

BTW Len, before i forget to ask you...i have A LOT of random NEW OEM parts laying around the shop for newer cars, like 2006-2009 Chevy Impalas, Ford Fusions, Focuses, Pontiac G6es, Hyundai Sonatas, Highlanders, Camrys, Mazda6's, and a few other models...mouldings, door skins, structure parts, AN ENTIRE UNISIDE ASSY for a G6...lol. and a shit loada other parts. Do you frown on like "swap meets" in the forum? obviously, i AM trying sell them, but not for any specific price...i was figuring that there people in this forum that either own, operate, or simply work at shops that could possibly USE the parts before they wind up damaged, and NO ONE will be able to use them. Can I post a new thread with a listing of the parts that i have without actually ASKING for any amount of money, or would you consider that, like advertising or something? OR, if you would be willing to set up a new thread for people like me that have parts that someone else on here might be able to use...also i have a COMPLETE 66 Buick Riviera that the shop more or less owns, but we dont have a title to sell it outright...i'd be willing to take parts off it if anyone needed something. i'd rather part the thing out to someone that needed, say, a door, then the car sit in the lot any longer and the parts rot from the inside. Obviously, i would have to take any parts off the car before hand, strip the door panels and what not off and rust proof it on the inside to protect it. well, if you would allow this, let me know and i'll post a list, name it simply SWAP MEET or something like that. OR if you might need anything that i might have, let me know. i'd be willing to pay for the shipping if someone wanted to buy a part for the right price...hell, id rather make just a couple dollars for a whole box of like mouldings or whatever and someone actually be able to use them on a job. atleast that way the parts aren't sitting around getting kicked and beat up and eventually only be worth their scrap weight, when they are literally BRAND NEW parts that we got from a body shop that went out of business. My dad knew the guy that owned the place and he was figuring WE could use the parts...LMFAO. as long as they sit at the shop in good condition, we will NEVER get a car in that needs the part. Only thing that i DO worry about is that if i DO get rid of some of them, as soon as they are gone, a car will come in that needs those parts. Anyways let me know what you think. Otherwise, i may just try like Craigslist or something like that.

Chris
    bunkystrimline

looks like fun, im working on a 41 ford.the weather is not kind to these old trucks.

I guess I'm still learning this site, just found this section, it is awesome!!! Good work Len!

Default Grill was a big task.

The grill was not only rusted but had a couple dents that needed fixing.

You can tell by the recessed lettering and the bullet nose that we needed to be pretty careful doing the metal work.

After repairs we shot a filler primer, block sanded and painted.

We painted the inside of the grill a silver similar to the original color scheme then masked that off and sprayed the rest with single stage blue the same as the truck cab exterior.

Early in the job we painted the engine compartment so that the rebuilt engine could be installed and we could move the truck around easily. Notice that alum. foil works great for masking some things.

The sheet metal had quite a bit of damage, luckily it was mostly just dented and not stretched or rotted. It looked like the previous owners would climb on the hood and roof.

After a few weeks we were ready to prime most of the cab. We did most of this in sections as we finished the body work.

The primer was block sanded and the truck is masked ready for paint. Finally!

We painted the cab all in one spraying session which is unusual for us because we would normally spray the roof separately but because there was no good place to mask we risked doing it all in one shot. We even managed to shoot the jambs at the same time which is also a rare occurrence.

We sanded and polished it to perfection and it's ready for assembly.

Here we're almost finished. The truck is assembled and it's ready for a few, last minute details like the painting the rims and installing the bed.

Since the owner of this truck lives near the shop he allowed us to take it to a local car show where it won a first place in the truck category.
    54chev23.jpg

Since Mike did everything but spray the paint he deserves the credit for this trophy.
    54chev22.jpg

Lastly, this is the picture that I took of this beauty that made the December page of the 2009 Stovebolt calender. Even without the tires being dressed. :o

Default Those old trucks are so cool...

Nice job you guys did, that's alot of dirty work...Does the owner use it for work at all?
    My 2 cents worth...
    Serge

Quote Originally Posted by Serge
    Nice job you guys did, that's alot of dirty work...Does the owner use it for work at all?
    Funny you should ask. When he brought it he intended on using it but after we finished he decided to purchase another one for work and keep this one for show.