TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show us what you're doing.

Default Show us what you're doing.

Show us pictures and descriptions of your project.

If you don't know how to upload pictures go to the FAQ link at the top of the page. If you have questions let me know.
    Last edited by Len; 01-21-2009 at 12:13 PM.

Default Board Additions

Len , I must congratulate you to these new additions , looking foward to see some active projects , I cannot post my current project , because I don't think to many people would be interested with fiberglass work on a BOAT

Quote Originally Posted by Frank T
    Len , I must congratulate you to these new additions , looking foward to see some active projects , I cannot post my current project , because I don't think to many people would be interested with fiberglass work on a BOAT
    Ok Frank, I put in your category at the bottom of the Projects Forum. Anywhere these tools and materials are used can be shown and explained.

I see that now , it wasn't there when I responded , but I like this addition also , Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank T
    I see that now , it wasn't there when I responded , but I like this addition also , Frank
    Yep, I put it on when I saw your post and thought it would be a good idea.

67 GTO prostreet car.I got the pictures mixed up so start from page 3.

http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh89/67geeto/

From my first and only thread
    http://autobodystore.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14448
    I really have a long way to go. I am currently waiting from the machine shop to pick the engine up. He is decking the block, finish hone the cylinders, and balancing the rotating assembly. I have the roll cage installed, floor pans built. This car was backed halfed, over the winter. The car has leaf spring suspension with the Cal track system. I just completed the rear end build last week, were I narrowed a Dana 60 with strange spool, and axles, and 4.88 gears. Home made rear disc brake setup features Jeep rotors, and GM metric calipers. I have most of the stuff to complete the car, including the fuel system which is a BG 280 fuel pump, all the electronics MSD 7AL box, and Old Accel Tach mech Tach drive distributor which I converted over to electronic with the Petrnonix kit, and scored a 5" Moroso Monster recall cable drive tach off Ebag.
    I have the transmission and 9 inch converter. Im kinda bummed out a little, I am a drag racer, and I sold last years ride to fund this new car, which will be pretty awesome when done, but this will be the first season of non racing since back before i was married.

Default Need help with a 62 Eldorado

Hi there
    I'm in the procces of restoring a 1962 Cadillac Eldorado. My body work helper took the fenders of for paint prep. I need to put them back on but I need to know the fender to body and door gap.
    Is there a gauge tool to set correct gap between body panel for a 62 Cadillac.
    Please help.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MoreRacing View Post
    Hi there
    I'm in the procces of restoring a 1962 Cadillac Eldorado. My body work helper took the fenders of for paint prep. I need to put them back on but I need to know the fender to body and door gap.
    Please help.
    Thanks.
    Gaps from the factory weren't that good to start with but if you make the door to fender gap about the same as the door to quarter panel gap you should be fine. In many cases you may need shims in order to get the alignment right. You should probably put the hood on around the same time so that you can also align the gap between the fenders and the hood.

Default Best gage...

Quote Originally Posted by MoreRacing View Post
    Hi there
    I'm in the procces of restoring a 1962 Cadillac Eldorado. My body work helper took the fenders off for paint prep. I need to put them back on but I need to know the fender to body and door gap.
    Please help.
    Thanks.
    Your eye is the best gage. But always remember what you can and cannot move. First thing you need to do is check your door(S) hinge pins. If the door moves up and down due to pins, change them before making ANY adjustments in those areas. If you never did this then WATCH OUR FOR THAT PROJECTILE SPRING. I like to use mechanic wire while the spring is still mounted to tie the spring closed. Install it with the wire still on it and once you are sure it's in the right spot then cut the wire. Use gloves and protect your body.

While the fender is off see if you need to paint the side of the door now exposed to you. If a color change and with the fender off you'll have good access.

Just use the same eyeball gap around the entire door and set your top and bottom gap with the door even with the quarter panel since you can move the door but not the quarter. Make sure the hinge pins are NOT allowing the door to sag as it will throw off the eyeball height of the fender. To help with this, check the gap and alignment at the quarter AND across the bottom of the door and eyeball for level at the door bottom. Have the hood mouted but open ( I forgot you may need the fender first then the hood so check it out).

Move the fender for alignment and check for level and the gap around the adjacent panels. Put a few layers of good automotive tap on tops of fenders where hood might hit. BE SURE to lower hood very slowly watching both sides. Once in alignment lower and latch hood and check all level and clearances. The fender has adjustments with where you bolt it. Don't bolt ALL the bolts of the fender tight in case you need to adjust something but don't leave them subject to moving either.

Below is a professional article written by one of our members Brian. He has a ton of writng you can find in the CLASSROOM here:

Click on the lnk below and choose the first topic: Body Panel Alignment:

http://www.autobodystore.com/martinsr.shtml

This will help you and my instructions might as well. Let us know how you make out.

Henry

Default Need help with 62 Eldorado

Got It!!
    great. I do have new hinge pins on doors.
    I'll start reassembly next weekend.
    Will watch link and any and all I can before hand.
    Thanks guys.
    Al

Default Beautiful Job!

How long did it take you from start to finish?

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    How long did it take you from start to finish?

It took about 3 months for my friend and I to get it finished. We both have day jobs (in body shops) so we only had weekends to work on it.