TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Summit Racing Paint???

Default Summit Racing Paint???

I just got the March 09 issue of Popular Hot Rodding and they have a short article that indicates Summit is now selling their own brand of automotive paint.

It indicates 20 colors are available so does not appear that it will work for matching OEM paint, but may be an option for color changes.

The prices are VERY low compared to PPG, Dupont etc.

Anyone ever used it or know anything about it?

Is it quality paint?

Is the Candy Apple Red a true Candy color?

sounds like that duplicolor stuff they sell at autozone and the like, single stage and supposed to be easy to use....have heard differing opinions. why not get a can and see how you like it if it's pretty inexpensive? I'm pretty sure Candy Apple refers to the color of food instead of the outrageously expensive Kandy color changing paint.

Quote Originally Posted by redfire312
    I'm pretty sure Candy Apple refers to the color of food instead of the outrageously expensive Kandy color changing paint.
    Kandy paints are not outrageously expensive materials, nor do they radically change colors. You are thinking of the color-shifting pearls one brand of which is House Of Kolor's Kameleon line. If the "candy apple red" that the OP referred to is a single stage or two stage base-clear then it is not a "real" candy/kandy paint. "Real" kandy paints are three-stage systems consisting of a base color which is typically a metallic, followed by the kandy which is a transparent colored mid-coat, and finally followed by the clearcoat. The final color is a combination of the base color and the transparent kandy, and also depends on the thickness of the kandy application. True kandy paints will approach black as more coats of the kandy mid-coat are applied. The color you see in a kandy job is from light that has passed through the kandy where it is reflected from the base color, and transmitted back through the kandy. The heavier the kandy layer is the less light is transmitted in either direction.

Harry Phinney

I don't know much about it, but it does not appear to be lacquer based. I t think it is the Duplicolor lacquer, so I don't think is re-labeled Duplicolor.

They list.
    Epoxy primer/activator
    2K Urethane primer/activator
    Urethane Base or single stage/activator
    MS or HS Urethane clear/activator

Someone on another post suggested it may be re-labeled Kirker. That seems plausible based upon the colors, prices etc. that they list, but don't know for sure.

Im only guessing, but if you look at the colors they offer, and look at Kirkers website, I noticed the colors have the same names, ie.. "Sour Apple Green", "Omaha Orange", etc. It makes me wonder if it is Kirker brand paint re-labeled for Summit. It is single stage urethane they sell.

Jason
    1969 Charger R/T---1973 Rallye Charger

It is TCP global stuff re-labeled summit.

Quote Originally Posted by jaak
    Im only guessing, but if you look at the colors they offer, and look at Kirkers website, I noticed the colors have the same names, ie.. "Sour Apple Green", "Omaha Orange", etc. It makes me wonder if it is Kirker brand paint re-labeled for Summit. It is single stage urethane they sell.

Jason
    I know for a fact that Eastwoods cheaper line is Kirker. I called Kirker and ask them. They did not want to say at first but after some Tech. questions they said it was their paint! I think Kirker has alot of distributers like this and Summit is most likely one of them. How you can see if Kirker makes it: If it is packed 3qt. in a gal. can. One qt. hardener. (3:1) is sprayable.

Quote Originally Posted by 68-chevyman
    I know for a fact that Eastwoods cheaper line is Kirker. I called Kirker and ask them. They did not want to say at first but after some Tech. questions they said it was their paint! I think Kirker has alot of distributers like this and Summit is most likely one of them. How you can see if Kirker makes it: If it is packed 3qt. in a gal. can. One qt. hardener. (3:1) is sprayable.

This week I peeled the label off a can of Eastwood urethane. Found the remains of a Kirker label. A lot of guys may be spraying Kirker and not know it.