TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Ppg DP90 Alternative? Banned in California?

Default Ppg DP90 Alternative? Banned in California?

I guess California has banned PPG Dp90 epxy primer since Jan. 1st. according to the paint shop. I really liked using the dp90 on my bare metal restorations. What is a good reliable epoxy primer that I can use and find in California since they are determined to ban everthing except crayons?

Quote Originally Posted by Root
    I guess California has banned PPG Dp90 epxy primer since Jan. 1st. according to the paint shop. I really liked using the dp90 on my bare metal restorations. What is a good reliable epoxy primer that I can use and find in California since they are determined to ban everthing except crayons?
    well you could call PPG ?
    here is PPG number
    909-987-0924 Rancho Cucamonga and Very helpful
    I would Not get too Caught up in the what is BANNED and the Waterborne Paint stuff. The change will be for the BETTER......
    BMW..FORD...CHEVY....they seem to Like the waterborne coatings just fine

I don't believe it is banned, I think it's uses are restricted on your VOC log books a shop has to keep, but I don't believe it was "banned". At least not DP40LF. And if it was, look to other sources for your epoxy primer.

Brian

Root, I just checked and it depends on where you are in California. In the SF bay area for instance ("Rule 45") DP epoxy primers are compliant under a "Specialty coatings" section. While in SoCA (Rule 1146) it is not seen. So if you can't get it where you live you may be able to drive a few miles and get it. I don't know exactly if there are still parts of the state that fall under "national rule" as they did when I was a paint rep selling all over the state. But back then places like Lake County or up in Eureka or down in King City were under "National Rule" where the epoxy is most certainly allowed.

Brian