Thread: Paint stripper for removing clearcoat only?

Default Paint stripper for removing clearcoat only?

Back probably mid `90`s I used a product that would strip only the clearcoat and leave the base untouched.We used it on cars that had peeling factory paint jobs and it was a time saver rather than sanding it all off.Is this stuff still available,who makes it and will it work on the new clears?

Default now that would be

an interesting chemical makeup. strong enough to remove urethane but not the base? i hope another poster knows of such an animal. good luck on your search.
    "Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." Alfred E. Newman

88GT Guest

the only thing I can think of that would leave the base "untouched" (not to be confused with ready to re clear) would be compressed air. Even that would only remove some. peeling clear is a good old fassioned repaint waiting to happen

Logically its impossible to have a chemcial that will eat into clearcoat and not damage the basecoat. The basecoat has always been more sensitive to chemicals than the clearcoat. If there is such a chemical stripper that lifts only the clearcoat without damaging the basecoat then I sure never heard of it.

There is or was such a thing as I personally used it a number of times and it worked great,just can`t remember what company made it and if it is still available or not.

I would say its impossible also,Besides why would you want to go thru all the trouble of removing clearcoat and then leave compromised base?I dont see any work savings vs risk of problems in trying to save old basecoat.Mike

You know, now that I think about it, it seems to me that it was Henry who mentioned a while back that there was a rattle can spray that was supposed to aid in removing the clearcoat without damaging the basecoat. I can't think of the name of it right now (got brainlock) but it will come to me eventually. I have no idea how good or bad the stuff worked. Assuming the stripper does exist then it begs the next logical question " how do you prepare the old basecoat to accept the new clearcoat (or more basecoat) without sanding the old basecoat?"

That`s probably the same stuff as it did come in a rattle can.I can`t remember what they recommended for prep work for the original base but I would assume it would need at least a scuffing before new base or clear sprayed on top.We used it on the bosses Chevy truck and a couple other jobs with good results.

Kean-Strip makes a product called "Peeler" that purports to remove peeling OEM clearcoat. The label warns that over application may damage the OEM primer, and that Peeler may remove any non-OEM finishes. It doesn't appear that it is intended to either remove solidly adhered clearcoat, nor preserve the basecoat. I've never used the product.

Harry Phinney

Peeler - thats the name of the rattle can stuff I was trying to remember. Never used it so I have no idea how or if it works.

PEELER? Does it work on potatoes also?

works great on potatoes except it leaves the fish eyes

Quote Originally Posted by torredcuda
    Back probably mid `90`s I used a product that would strip only the clearcoat and leave the base untouched.We used it on cars that had peeling factory paint jobs and it was a time saver rather than sanding it all off.Is this stuff still available,who makes it and will it work on the new clears?
    I've never tried to strip the clear and leave the color so I don't know how clean and undamaged it leaves the color. I've stripped (or had stripped) a car in almost every manor there is except dipping and we've found that the fastest, cleanest and that the way that generates the least toxic amount of waist is using a rotary sander/polisher and 80 grit sandpaper. I can understand that the increased investment may be a barrier to this method but the results have always been worth it for us. Our sander polisher gets a real work out because it strips the paint off in the beginning of the work then it polishes the new paint job at the end of the work.

Strip and Repaint Link

I've used it and it worked quite well for removing the paint on my sisters delaminating Buick. But if I remember correctly it says it will remove the paint while leaving the primer relatively untouched. On her car the clear and base came right up leaving most of the primer intact. Personally I would never leave the base on there anyhow as it is comprimised as well I'm sure. I much prefer Lens method of stipping paint and I just ordered another kit since someone stole my first one:mad:

Hey Len, is a buffer ok on hoods and roofs? Heat wise.