TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Base Coat application - drop coat?

Default Base Coat application - drop coat?

The spec sheet for the base coat (Martin Senour) I'm going to use says to
    "apply 2 to 3 medium wet coats plus a drop coat"

What's a "Drop Coat"?
    Thanks!

Default Drop Coat

When you spray a metallic color you'll find some paint products will tend to mottle (have light and dark areas) where the paint is applied unevenly. A "drop coat" is a light mist coat, on top of paint that has flashed, in order to even out the color. This light, dry mist coat is usually NOT a good idea because it can negatively effect the bond between the color and the clear however, if the paint manufacturer is recommending it, you may be ok doing it.

This is why I think that Sherwin-Williams paint sucks. Dupont, Sikkens and PPG don't recommend this voodoo what the hell is the point of buying the best spray guns in the world and then turning them into a cheap Harbor Freight gun to intentionally put out "droplets" of paint to camouflage their crappy too thin and too lightly pigmented basecoat. BOGUS!!!

Warren Guest

Default drop coat

Have a friend who has done a ton of body offs on Vettes. When he lays the Sherwin Metallic from his plus gun it is all mottled and blotchy in sort of one or two inch areas, after ten minutes or whatever it has smoothed out and all even. At that point it looks fine.

Since I have little metallic experience other than a few pieces of furniture I wonder about it. When I did furniture in metallic I had to spray lighter or it did the mottelling Len spoke of, if it was a bit wet I blew on a lighter mist coat while it was wet and it melted in just fine.

The car thing I don't know yet as I have only done solid base clear.

When I watch the floyd Codfish show I see guys spraying from 14"-16" back and it looks more like they are sweeping the floor than spraying a car.

Whats up with that??

Warren

Default drop coat

Thanks for all your replies. I'm not aware that the base coat I'm using is metalic. The spec sheet for it is at ........
    http://www.martinsenour-autopaint.co...glish/9100.pdf
    What I'm using is the "Crossfire 56 Intermix."

For the paints that are listed as metalic, it says to use a mist
    coat to even things out. If my paint isn't metalic, then why the
    "drop coat" for the last application?
    Signed,
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Warren
    Have a friend who has done a ton of body offs on Vettes. When he lays the Sherwin Metallic from his plus gun it is all mottled and blotchy in sort of one or two inch areas, after ten minutes or whatever it has smoothed out and all even. At that point it looks fine.

Since I have little metallic experience other than a few pieces of furniture I wonder about it. When I did furniture in metallic I had to spray lighter or it did the mottelling Len spoke of, if it was a bit wet I blew on a lighter mist coat while it was wet and it melted in just fine.

The car thing I don't know yet as I have only done solid base clear.

When I watch the floyd Codfish show I see guys spraying from 14"-16" back and it looks more like they are sweeping the floor than spraying a car.

Whats up with that??

Warren
    If you notice they usually are only painting solid colors with enamel.

Warren Guest

Default I dont think so

More like candies and metallics and can't believe that those cars I have seen on a number of shows would be done in enamel.

The spray technique is what I dont get, looks like they are sweeping floors at times.

I had very experienced car builder ask me about that lately not much I could say I don't get it.

Warren

I like the wrecks to riches show on the Learning channel. Alot of the same problems they run into on the show are the same problems I have. Its just cool not being alone.