TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: New guy, auto gun/compressor question

Default New guy, auto gun/compressor question

Sorry if this is a repeat, I've been browsing a lot and taking it all in, but.. wow.. I have a lot to learn.

I have a Porter Cable 6-gallon pancake compressor (produces 3.7 SCFM at 40 psi and 2.7 SCFM at 90 psi) I'm hoping to get into some small automotive paint projects.

Right now I have a hood scoop off my Subaru WRX Wagon, and a buddy needs a set of sideskirts painted as well. I was planning on going to Home Depot to pick up what they're calling an "Automotive Spray Gun" for about $60.

I figured you guys are much more knowledgeable than the average Joe at Home Depot.. what do you recommend for a gun? Is $60 at Home Depot going to get me anything worth messing around with?
    This is the Campbell Hausfeld I was looking at for $60.

Any advice would be great, or feel free to point me to an FAQ or something. :o
    Last edited by sam; 04-17-2006 at 03:46 PM.

Generally speaking, you get what you pay for. That gun may do a satisfactory job on a few parts but you might be disappointed on a larger job. I know there are guys who have bought that or similar guns and were happy with the results - and a lot that weren't.

You definitely would be making a mistake using the pancake compressor. The gun will require somewhere between 9-15 cfm (don't know the actual specs). With the typical 25 gallon compressor found in many home shops you might get away with spraying a couple of small parts - but that's about it. You'll run out of air and have to wait for the pressure to come up again long before getting even a single coat on an entire car - and that'll cause problems in itself. Again, you probably won't happy with the results and there's a good chance you'll flush a lot $$ down the drain.

Thanks, I think I'll give it a shot. With this compressor, I only plan on painting 2-3 square foot areas at a time (never an entire car).