TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Metal Filler?????

Default Metal Filler?????

Guys,I have a cast iron table that is 6"X18" long and over time has a valley in it about 1/32deep.It runs side to side and the full length.The table goes on a floor model metal sander that I purchase.It take a 6"X36"belt and over the yrs has created this valley.The table is only 1/4 thick,so machine surfacing it I think is out.I need to level it out and I don't know if regular body filler will last another 30yrs.So,I was wondering about metal filler.What type of metal filler would you suggest,how should I prep the surface,is this a good application for metal filler?As always guys thanks for helping out a novice,,Carroll

I'm not at all sure if Body Filler would right for the application your talking about. Is this a cosmetic or structural defect?

I have used Epoxy Putty like KBS NuMetal for something similar to what your describing.

Actually the stuff has proven invaluable for a couple of fixes both for cars and around the house.

You just follow the directions for prep and combining equal amounts of each "stick" together relative to the size of the repair you need to make.

Once applied you wet your fingers and smooth the material out over the repair. The smoother you make it the less sanding you'll need to do afterwards. Use water and a rag to clean up any residue on the work piece.

Once cured it can be sanded and painted or just left as is and forms an extremely hard and durable repair.

The problem I see with body filler (albeit a metal based one) is that they aren't really good at taking a pounding. That is to say they work great for sheet metal panels on cars but I've never used them for making repairs on other items.

If you do decide to go that route, you'll need to clean then sand down the repair area with 180 grit sandpaper to give the metal some "bite". Apply the filler according to directions (press it into the metal and use multiple light coats to "build" up the repair). Once your done you'll need to sand down the repair to get it flush, clean again then apply some paint.

Hope this helps

GregY
    Thoughts and comments expressed by me are mine based on my own experience and research and shared here freely. I am not a professional nor make any claim to be as such

You could overlay it with a fresh sheet of steel plate.Mike

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Courtney
    Guys,I have a cast iron table that is 6"X18" long and over time has a valley in it about 1/32deep.It runs side to side and the full length.The table goes on a floor model metal sander that I purchase.It take a 6"X36"belt and over the yrs has created this valley.The table is only 1/4 thick,so machine surfacing it I think is out.I need to level it out and I don't know if regular body filler will last another 30yrs.So,I was wondering about metal filler.What type of metal filler would you suggest,how should I prep the surface,is this a good application for metal filler?As always guys thanks for helping out a novice,,Carroll
    You say this is the stand for a table top sander?
    if that is the case, i'd go with the last suggestion, just weld a steel plate (nothing rediculously thick, as you already HAVE a base) to it. Just run some stitch welds about 1.5" long, space em apart about 1" or so. when you get all the way around, let it cool and fill in the rest of the gaps where you spaced it. that should give it more then enough suppost so that the vibration from the sander wont break it loose.