Thread: Painting wood with auto paint.

Default Painting wood with auto paint.

Have you guys ever tried painting household wooden stuff with auto paint?
    I have a light fixture in the dining room with a fan. My girlfriend was curious if I would be able to use some cool automotive colors to paint the blades of the fan.
    I think the blades have some layer glued ontop of them, to make them smooth and look like wood grain.
    If I use RM epoxy primer, I think they might delaminate.
    What do you guys think? has anyone done this?
    I know Len mentioned that his wife does some wood work, maybe she had approached you with a similarly crazy idea?
    I was thinking of painint the coffee table too
    thanks
    Vadim

I have painted wood items with excellent results. I sand the wood with 220 grit paper to clean bare wood (no residual paint, shellac, varnish etc.) I then spray the wood with 2-k primer, sand it smooth then basecolor coat followed by clearcoat.

But the point is you have to have clean bare wood to work with.

Hey Phil,

I was thinking of painting my kitchen cabinets this summer they are just plain pine cabinets with maybe alittle poly on them. I want to paint them a glossy white with my spray gun. Thinking either single stage or bc/cc. Whats the best and cheapest type of paint to do this? I am not saying it has to be real cheap but I dont want to spend 400 a gallon. I have a 1.4 Binks M1G HVLP and 1.3 Finishline Devilbiss HVLP

thanks

Talking

Indoors shouldn't need the UV resistance of a good urethane. I'd use lacquer from wal-mart. Its in the automotive section. The clear comes in big cans, the basecoat in both small and big cans. Just did my sons and also my derby car (pine) with $.98/can primer, duplicolor base and duplicolor clear. Cut-n-buffed to an awesome shine!! Yeah, for indoors, lacquer is the #$%#!!

I was hoping to use paint that I can spray in one of my guns. I have alot of cabinets to paint a whole kitchen and there is some enterntainment cabinets in my living room. I am painting inside and out of my cabinets. I am looking at atleast a gallon of paint.

mmoomey, I gotta be honest with you, the idea of using an automotive type isocyanate based paint where my food is going to be stored would make me worry. I realize that interior urethane paints aren't particularily good to breathe either but at least thats a tried and true accepted way of doing cabinets.

Default Do yourself a favor..............

Quote Originally Posted by mmooney84
    I was hoping to use paint that I can spray in one of my guns. I have alot of cabinets to paint a whole kitchen and there is some enterntainment cabinets in my living room. I am painting inside and out of my cabinets. I am looking at atleast a gallon of paint.
    Leave it to the pros to give you their opinion THEN do them yourself. First of all, I would NOT use anything from Walmart because of durability. No, not UV but think of the kitchen as the dirtiest room in your house. Next time you boil water for macaroni and the room fills with moisture, wipe a dry finger over your cabinets ad notice how sticky they get. How about frying splatter. You don't want this over Duplicolor paint. Then when you go to wash the wood one day all the finish will come off as well.
    I would remove a cabinet door and take it down to a Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams dealer and show them what you have and what they would use if you hired them to refinish your cabinets and go from there. I' be very concerned about removing all the years of splatter from the finish before doing anything. Maybe an epoxy paint is needed.
    Len and several others have said they painted their dining room tables with urethane clear and the thought has been once cured the finish is OK. Let us know what you find out. Henry

Well the inside of my cabinets I could use just a basic interior latex. But the outside and doors I would like to paint with something that has a good shine. I have seen people brush latex paint on their cabinets and it looks like crap and doesnt seem to hold up that well. The cabinets are clean and dont receive much spatter due to the stove is on of the ones in the middle of the counter and the oven is a wall oven. I am not saying it has to be auto paint but I would like to use something that I can spray through a reg spray gun. My whole house is being remodeled this summer so the fumes are not a big issue. Does anyone know what paint will have the best shine and be pretty cleanable and that could still be sprayed though a spray gun? Any websites to look at the paints? This is not a great house so i dont want to pay a cabinet refinisher and from what I have found people that work at paint stores usually just know enought to get them by.

Default clarification........

Quote Originally Posted by mmooney84
    This is not a great house so i dont want to pay a cabinet refinisher and from what I have found people that work at paint stores usually just know enought to get them by.
    You say not a great house; well hell, it's your house so that makes it great in itself.
    Clerks who sell paint for houses don't usually know anything. But I'm talking about the professional in a seperately run paint store; not a paint product sold at Home Depot or Lowes. Good luck to you. Henry

Thanks Henry.

When I get closer to being ready for paint I will call some refinishers and ask what paint they use.

Check out http://www.targetcoatings.com

They have everything you need to finish cabinets and it's all waterbased. They also have a forum and someone from the company frequently visits to answer questions.

They sell stuff that professionals use.

I guess I can just use a urethane basecoat then spray over it with this sprayable interior polyurethane for the results I want. It even says it can be buffed like auto clear. Cool. Thanks for the link.

Default Painting wood

I've used acrylic urethane to spray many different surfaces in my house including kitchen cabinets, doors, tables, chairs etc. etc.

Once the finish has cured you will have no problems with isos but you don't want to bring the painted surface into the living space until the paint is fully cured.

A good urethane holds up REAL WELL and can be cleaned for years leaving a beautiful finish that is easy to repair or repaint if needed.

You don't want to use paint like lacquer or anything else that contains lead.

Hi,

I think a good water based topcoat would be fine. And it shouldn't stink.
    The other stuff isn't good if anyone has allergy or lung problems. Mirrorcoat has good stuff. A little on the expensive side, but really durable with great shine.
    Look in any search engine, should find the stuff.